One chick is noticeably smaller than the others, could it be a bantam? What are the other possible

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steph5253, Feb 17, 2014.

1. steph5253

steph5253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    [​IMG]

I am thinking one of my chicks might be a bantam. They are all within a day old of each other. They told me at the feed store that they thought this chick was a silver laced Wyandotte but they were not sure since it was an extra and didn't look like anything they had. This was taken a day or two ago and the size difference today is even more obvious. Can you spot the small one? Second from the right in the row of four grouped together. What do you think? Small chick or bantam and how do I know?

Thanks for your input and guesses :)

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Does it have feathered legs? What color is its skin? Does is have extra toes?

3. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    I don't notice a huge size difference from the picture but I know things can look different in person. If you feel like its significantly smaller than it could be a bantam. I know our local feed store gets in layers/pullets, meaties and then usually a mix of bantams.

We had turkens last year that appeared to be bantam size but matured out to standard size. I can't remember at what point they caught up to the others, it was like over night they suddenly seemed the same size.

Sorry I couldn't be more help! I'm sure in a few days you'll be able to tell for sure [​IMG] We have a bantam from our first order this year that is almost the same size as a couple of standards that aren't much younger than it is. I do think its a leghorn bantam (it was part of an assortment so we won't know until it matures some more).

More pictures might be helpful...even if they aren't, everyone loves pictures of chicks!

4. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    She does not have feathered legs, skin seems to be white/blue, four toes :)
    here is a pic from Two days ago:

[​IMG]

5. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    New pics, anyone have an opinion?

Just took these, little Calliope next to gold laced Wyandotte Hermione.

She is still a mystery chick and I'm eager to find out more about her!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    She almost looks like a silver lakenvelder, what type of comb does she have?

7. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    I wish I knew but it sure is cute!!! [​IMG]

8. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.

Oh my goodness I think you may be right! My little chickie has pretty much all of the described characteristics of a silver lakenvelder! It would also explain her smaller size since they are smaller bird. Thanks for your input!

She (hopefully) is only a few days old so it is not very clear but she appears to have a single comb :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  9. SlipsWife

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    x2

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If she was the same size to start with and the others are growing and she is not, you may have a failure to thrive situation. Hopefully she is just a bantam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by