One chick is unlike the others...

heidiannlewis

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Easton, Massachusetts
Ok, so I have a small flock of 6 chicks (2 Rhode island reds, 2 Plymouth rock and 2 gold laced wyanodottes) and for the most part they are all normal chicks except one. One of my Rhode Island Reds named Anna.
She is eating and drinking and normal droppings for the most part, she has a bloody stool once but have been normal since, but when I take the chicks outside to do chick things she just stands there and looks very tired/lethargic. She will walk around in a same circle and clean herself but she will not follow the other or chase the other when they find bugs. She will peck around where she is but then gets sleepy like again. She has been like this now for almost 2 weeks, she seems fine in the brooder but once outside I really notice that she is different. I usually just end up holding her and letting her sleep in my hands while I watch and follow the others to keep an eye on them.
I'm just nervous, I thought maybe she was blind but she looks around like the others and finds her food just fine. I don't know if that's just how she is, laid back and mellow or if I should be worried and maybe have her checked out or something?

DeepDishChix

Chirping
May 23, 2015
hit.gif
Maybe you should take her to a vet to have her checked up? Hope that helps!

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
This one time bloody stool could've been shedding of the intestinal lining, but if it was REALLY bloody stool, it sounds like this baby could possibly have coccidiosis. I don't have much experience with the disease itself, but I've heard treating with corid is a safe thing to do just in case.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
How old are the chicks? I would probably treat her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) just in case she has coccidiosis. It won't hurt the others, so just treat everyone at one time. It is found in the cattle medicines of your feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then when that is finished, give them several days of vitamins and probiotics in their water.

heidiannlewis

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Easton, Massachusetts
How old are the chicks? I would probably treat her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) just in case she has coccidiosis. It won't hurt the others, so just treat everyone at one time. It is found in the cattle medicines of your feed store. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then when that is finished, give them several days of vitamins and probiotics in their water.

Thanks!! I'm gonna look into that! But she is roughly 3 weeks old

heidiannlewis

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Easton, Massachusetts
Her newest symptom that I didn't post earlier, she has a lump on her front. I thought maybe it was her crop but it is on one side of her :( I'm gonna look into the liquid medicine but I'm gonna try and find a vet too.

heidiannlewis

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Easton, Massachusetts
Good news is she is doing fine, and after some research I didn't believe she had coccidiosis. I went out and bought pedialyte instead and she was much better. I have now come to the conclusion that I think she just doesn't like grass? Cause she only has the weird "symptoms" (sleepiness, not moving around/ foraging) when she is on the lawn. If she is on our brick walkway she is normal again. And her poop has been normal since!

So thanks for the advice, but I think I overreacted and just have a spoiled chick on my hands
lau.gif

Top Bottom