One chick left behind?

desy05

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 29, 2016
Long story short, yesterday I found 3 chicks, and a hatching egg. Momma had already left exploring the yard with the 3 offsprings, and the egg was cold. I took it in and helped it hatch, and kept the chick warm to dry. At 5 am i put it under mom, since it was still dark, but when I checked this morning, mom had left with the three again, and the baby was left behind crying. It’s not up the speed of the other ones and didn’t follow. Any advice?

Attachments

• 4AABEE88-AE31-428E-AEBC-D649F290EDA2.jpeg
    4AABEE88-AE31-428E-AEBC-D649F290EDA2.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 28
Long story short, yesterday I found 3 chicks, and a hatching egg. Momma had already left exploring the yard with the 3 offsprings, and the egg was cold. I took it in and helped it hatch, and kept the chick warm to dry. At 5 am i put it under mom, since it was still dark, but when I checked this morning, mom had left with the three again, and the baby was left behind crying. It’s not up the speed of the other ones and didn’t follow. Any advice?
How much younger is the late hatcher?

I would give her some Poultry Nutri-drench throughout the day. Just one drop every 3 or 4 hours to the side of her beak so it wicks in. Give her a little scrambled egg. Grab one of the hatch mates and put it with her.

Tonight, slip them both back under their mother after it's dark and everyone is settled. Be back out to the coop just before the flock starts to get active to monitor.

I had to do an assisted hatch on a late hatching egg that mom abandoned. I slipped the chick under her that night after she was mostly dried. The next day, mom nearly attacked her because she was distress peeping so loudly because mom got off her and she got cold. It was very cold that day and the other hatch mates started running back under mom and she settled on them so I tucked the late hatcher back under her and she took her. I had to monitor the brood most of that day. I gave the late hatcher some Poultry Nutri-drench a few times during the day to help keep her energy up.

By the second day, she was doing an okay job keeping quiet and just tucking herself under mom and mom would keep her there just fine. By the third day, she was keeping up with the rest of the brood and doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom