One Chick Left

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick-george, Aug 30, 2010.

1. chick-george

chick-george Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    I got three silkie chicks this week from a local breeder. The runty one is now the only one left she had a pasty but so I paid lots of attention to her. The other two were just fine, I made sure their butts were clean. Over the last two days they got weak and died early this morning. Now the runty one is behaving like a perfectly healthy chick no pasty butt, eating and drinking. Ive had her with me all morning. She cries if I'm not carrying her around. We watched a kung fu movie together on the couch. [​IMG]

I, of course, cannot be tied to the sofa all day (though it is tempting). I was told she was a week old when I got her, making her approximately 2 weeks old. I know she should not be by herself but I'm afraid to get more from the breeder in case the other chicks aren't as healthy as they seemed, and I don't want to give her away or back. I have three 4 month old chickens in the back and I'm pretty sure putting her in with them is a bad idea.

So... Any advice or ideas would be very welcome. [​IMG]

2. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    maybe get more lil fuzzy butts(from somewhere else) so they can flock together, that way when it comes time to get out of the brooder she has safety in numbers.

I rehomed a chick to a friend who had 6 free ranging RIRs and the first time they were alone together the hens killed the chick. had it been 6 chicks they probably would have been fine but since it was one, she was alone and vulerable, and apparently seen as a weak link by the hens.

good luck! hope the lil one stays healthy [​IMG]

3. chick-george

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    Thanks, right now I have a stack of 3x5 Dr. Suess flash cards wrapped in a soft terry cloth towel tucked into my shirt on my "shelf" so she has a flat surface to stand on while she cuddles with me. My body heat seems to make her very comfy.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Picturing this thinking that you can't possibly go to work this way! [​IMG]

5. chick-george

Apr 10, 2010
    Lancaster
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  6. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Someone should invent an across the chest carrier for chicks [​IMG]

7. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    BWAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!

Nice!

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I bet if you went to work like that all the gals in the office will be wearing a chick like that - it could start a trend.......think of it!

LOL
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by