one chick much smaller than the others...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cabot, May 14, 2010.

1. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 9 five week old chicks and all are pretty much the same size. The buff orpington is feathering in well but is 1/3 the size of the others. Is she just small, will she catch up? I don't think she is banty, she was the same size as the others at a day old....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The bantams can sometimes surprise you. I had a chick that stayed the same size as the others growing up. Then one day, when they were more than a year old, I saw her next to a bunch of her "sisters" and realized she is indeed a bantam.

3. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I have the same thing with my black austerlop , ive noticed that he ,she isnt as active or social as the others but Iv'e been hand feeding her eggs at treet time cause otherwise she wouldnt have a chance against the other 17 gals,lol im a newby but ive herd others say they can catch up hope so good luck this is pic of mine,

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    wow i have learned so much today. That is so weird.

Does your smaller one have feathered feet? I have new bantams and my 2 lighter colored ones look kind of like your tiny one there.

5. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Same here, I purchased 10 australorp x new hampshire chicks, one is tiny, it's just not thriving at all. They are three weeks old now and I have her inside with my bantam wyandotte chicks and the other 9 are in the outdoor brooder.

6. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    One of my salmon faverolles chicks was like that. At 12 weeks she has finally caught up with the others. I gave her a drop of poly-vi-sol baby vitamins WITHOUT IRON on the side of her beak every few days, and made sure she was eating/drinking and not getting bullied. I also made sure she got some scrambled eggs as a treat for the extra protein.

As long as she is acting normal and getting plenty of rest, she should be fine. I think some of the little ones just need a little extra attention to get a good start......

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by