One chick not doing well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kevin Boyington, May 21, 2010.

1. Kevin Boyington

Kevin Boyington New Egg

May 10, 2010
    We got our chicks yesterday and they were all moving around alot. Now one of them is laying down and chirps alot. My wife picks it up and within seconds it falls asleep in her hand. It does not move around much when you set her down, unlike all the others. I am worried that this one won't make it. Any advice? We tried sugar water on a q-tip on her beak, but she won't open it. She is not pasting either.

2. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Try giving it some plain yogurt. They love it.

3. Kevin Boyington

Kevin Boyington New Egg

May 10, 2010
    It died an hour later. We have 11 that are doing well.

4. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Try dipping the beak into the water. Just be very careful to not dip too far. I noticed when I had to give sugar water to one of my chicks it almost triggered it to naturally drink. I did it about 3 times a day, and she's doing well now. Sometimes its the stress, and sometimes its just failure to thrive. I had one that was really bad off, and with a little TLC I brought her back, I had another I tried the same exact thing to- It didn't make it. (It was already pretty bad off- the feed store just gave it to me, and threw it in the box.) Did you check for pasty butt? Is the vent clean?

5. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Oh that stinks I'm sorry. At least your others are doing good.

6. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    [​IMG]I'm so sorry. Sometimes these things happen and you never know the cause. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by