One Chick Not Doing Well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mak, May 29, 2010.

1. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Went to check the chicks in the brooder this morning and one of the Dominiques did not look well. She is definitely the smallest of the whole bunch, and I have seen her get pushed around at the feeder. She was just huddled under the heat lamp, eyes closed and wings drooping. I picked her up and she didn't struggle or peep at all. Put her down near the feed and she tried to peck, but again got pushed off by one of the bigger Stars. She is now in her own box, with a separate heat lamp, food and water. I got her to drink by dipping her little beak in the water and holding her up. The second time I did that, she did struggle and when I put her down, she went to the water and drank on her own. She has also pecked at the food a bit. She looks a little better. Her eyes are open and she was moving around a bit.

Is it possible (likely?) that she was just getting out-competed for food and water by the bigger chicks? Everyone else has grown noticabley since Wednesday, but she is still small. I was thinking I'd keep her in the separate box for a few days and maybe let her gain some strength and grow a bit before putting her back with the others.

I hope she is ok. It would be sad to lose one.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Keep an eye on her & keep her warm. Hopefully it's just a food issue. Good luck!

3. Golden the Bantam

Golden the Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2010
    is she active? put electrolites in her water and if she is falling asleep while standing she could have a serious problem. check her areas around and on her butt and make sure there are no entrails hanging of showing. also check there for blood . make sure the box is always as clean as can be!

4. Mak

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I did check her butt area and everything looks fine there. She was more active this afternoon, walking around and eating and drinking. She curled up under the heat lamp and slept a bit. She peeped a little when I was checking her water dish. She has pooped in the box, also. She seems better. I guess the next day or so will tell.

5. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    I had a droopy chick as well.

I mixed some organic apple cider vinegar mixed in water & carefully, with a pipette had her drink some.

I also dropped her some pedia-lyte.

Several times a day.

She came around nicely. I thought I was going to loose her, But after 2 days she was much better.

Good luck!

6. Mak

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    She seems much better today. Awake and active, running all over her box. I'll watch her for another couple days, but I think she may be ok! Whew! With never having chicks before, I was worried I did something wrong or was missing something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by