One chick not growing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catandry, Apr 30, 2009.

1. catandry

catandry New Egg

Apr 30, 2009
    Hi. I have one week of experience with chickens - so very new. I have 19 Buff Orpingtons I got from a breeder at one day old. 18 are twice as big after one week and doing well. One, which had pasty butt, is not growing at all. She eats and drinks and I keep her vent cleaned and lubricated with olive oil. I got her to eat a little yogurt, but not much. She may be more lethargic today, but has been fairly active. Is there anything else I can do?

2. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    I had a chick like that. She lasted a month while the others were growing feathers and losing their baby fat this one just got bigger and still looked like a large chick with some wing feathering. I gave it vitamins but it died. I am sorry. good luck with it

3. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    One of my Orpingtons was, and still is, smaller then the other. Just keep doing what your doing and it should be fine. As long as she is eating and drinking and keeping warm all should be well. [​IMG]

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  4. catandry

catandry New Egg

Apr 30, 2009
    She didn't make it. It is so sad. I don't know how to take care of something and not feel the loss when it is gone. But as my husband said, I have 18 others which are doing great. [​IMG]

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Im sorry,but sometimes these things just happen.Even if they was raised by the hen it proubly just wouldnt make it.

6. catandry

catandry New Egg

Apr 30, 2009
    Thanks pd your words are helpful.

7. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Sorry for the loss of the little one. PD phrased it well, as I say sometimes they are just not strong enough for this world.

Be well and take care of the fuzzy butts.

8. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:you're husband makes perfect sense to me. i'm very sorry about your loss, it's hard to loose a chick that you worked so hard to keep, but nature did what it had to do. and remember, you have other babies that love you and need your care and protection. you have my sympathy [​IMG]

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry for the loss of the little one. Don't blame yourself. I too have one that is doing just that same thing. It's around 3 weeks old, wings have feathered out but nothing like her sisters that are almost completely feathered out. She plays, eats, and drinks so I'm just watching her and waiting.
    Again, sorry. It does hurt tho'.

10. melissaowens

melissaowens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    andalusia alabama
    I have a small bbred that is alot smaller then the others, it had poop clumped up on its butt, got some warm water and finally got it off without hurting it, and it doesnt seem to be getting better. my cousin mixed up some duramycin in the water and we just gave to the babies, and includint the sick one, its one of my favorite ones i hope it dont die.

i hate to hear you lost one, i agree you have healthy ones that need your attention. i get attatched to all my animals too easy and it hurts when u lose one

Last edited: May 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by