One chick not thriving- Runt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shaddubbie, Apr 21, 2011.

1. shaddubbie

shaddubbie New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    New "chickie" with 12 chicks, 6 golden comets & 6 Branhams; the comets are doing great, they are getting big quick, but one of the Branhams is not thriving like the others, she is the smallest chick who seems to sleep most of the time and I hardly see her eat or drink, I am worried about her. The flock is roughly 1 1/2 weeks old now. They are nice and warm and have plenty of baby chicken feed and sugar water. I don't understand, in just the past two days she seems to be weaker than the others. I am hesitant to separate her from the flock and try to "nurse" her to better health and then reintroduce her back into the flock (best scenerio). Any suggestions/thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast

MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    ive never raised a runt but i think you should seperate her and give her a lot more TLC....... just my opinion. Best of luck!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    We had one like that, she was about 1/2 the size f her sister and we woke up to find her dying. it was awful and I think you should definitely separate her from the rest and try to nurse her back to health. electrolytes in the water, medicated feed, let her sleep but make sure she eats and drinks and make sure she poops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by