One chick or two?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crimsonchicken, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Crimsonchicken

Crimsonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    Hi folks! I haven't posted on here in a long time. But, Im seeking advice. I'm getting a 1 week old serama chick tomorrow. It's from a small incubator clutch an acquaintance hatched. I think she only ended up with 8 or so chicks. I originally requested only one chick. But, the more I think about it, the more I think I should have asked for two chicks. I'm afraid a lonely chick will be stressed from being taken away from his flock.

The problem is, I'm kind of wary about asking to purchase a second chick because she had such a small clutch. And, also, I don't know the lady that well. I think she likes the idea of me lavishing my attention on just one baby instead of trying to start a breeding operation, which I'm not. Would it be untoward of me to ask to purchase a pair of chicks instead of just one?

I would like to add that the lone chick would receive lots of attention from me and my family. I have a brinsea ecoglow brooder and a new stuffed friend for it.
    So, in my position, what would you do?

2. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    I would ask if a second was available,I would want it to have a friend.

3. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    No harm in asking, I would.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think it would be nice for it to have a companion the same age. You could just share your concerns about raising the chick alone to the acquaintance and see what she says. It would be interesting to get some feedback from someone who actually has raised one chick alone though...

5. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I would ask, the worst that would happen is she say no.

6. Crimsonchicken

Crimsonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    I asked her and she said yes! She was so nice about it. She agreed that two would be better than one. I thought I was getting them today, but her and her husband are both sick with the crud. So, now I have to wait a few more days and I am not a patient person. LOL!

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Great! Too bad you have to wait a few more days. I remember I had to wait almost a week for my chicks. I got mine from tractor supply last year, and they were late and everybody was waiting for them. The sales associates said that people wouldn't stop calling asking "Are the chicks in yet?". [​IMG] Good things come to those who wait!

Good Luck!

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nothing against your acquaintance or anything, but in all reality, she should have suggested that you get two in the first place. Chickens are flock animals, much like humans. They are not really happy by themselves. Glad your little chickie is coming with a friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by