one chick pecking at another chick's wings

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
One of our chicks is pecking at the other one's wings. It's like she's pulling the fuzz off of the newly sprouted wings. I tried bluecoat, and aside from making a mess, it did not dissuade her from pecking. Any advice?

My DW and I are already sniping at each other. It's a bit frustrating.

Last edited:
Either remove the bully or the victim. (I vote for the victim). Keep an eye on the bully too. Give baby a while to heal, keep her warm and you can bring a few buddies with her who are well-behaved. Once you get a little red spot or anything different, some bullies will not quit. Yes, it's frustrating!

I would remove the victim as well, so it's a less stressful environment while s/he recovers. Like LynneP said, pick out a couple of friends for it, but keep an eye out once you separate them. If the victim does have any red spots or bleeding it may make the other chicks start pecking too.

Are you sure there's only one bully?

Yes, there are only two chicks. The one who is getting pecked is one that we rescued (she has something wrong with her leg). We brought home the other one so that she would have a friend. Some friend she turned out to be! Right now, I have them separated by a sheet of plastic so they can see each other. It's better, but they are still both peeping like crazy!

Last edited:
Oh, well there goes the friend theory huh? Well, maybe the rescued chick will be better able to defend herself once she gets rested up a bit? I hope everything works out for you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom