One Chick sits by herself - what does this imply?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HenNewbie, May 4, 2009.

1. HenNewbie

HenNewbie Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    I walk in and she's sitting by herself and the other 3 are playing, eating, etc. She does not appear to be ill. Am I just overly concerned?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As long as you do observe her eating, drinking and pooping I woudn't worry too much. Watch her as much as you can for signs of illness.
    Some chicks are just more laid back than others and some take longer to adjust to life in the great big world. You might try taking her out of the brooder once a day for a one-on-one feeding. Use the search feature here on BYC to find out about using sugar water if she appears weak. Keywords "sugar water".
    Congrats on figuring it out. [​IMG]

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have a RIR chick that likes to be by herself. I have seen her play and chase and eat and poop and drink fine. But I was concerned too, until I caught her playing. She just likes to have her "alone" time. [​IMG]

4. scrapnfool

scrapnfool Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Rogersville, MO
    In my limited experience, the chicks that I have had that were "loners" were ill and died in a very short time. I hope that's not the case with yours, however, I would definitely watch them carefully.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I too had a little RIR that stayed to herself, slept a lot under the heat lamp, slow to grow and feather BUT then she made up for lost time at about 6 wks and is now bigger than the other RIR. She's still not as social but that's just her personality.

Good luck with your little one.

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I had a slow one in this last batch. She's keeping up with the others now. Just keep an eye on her and follow Gritsar's advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by