One chick sleeps more than the rest!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaH, Feb 22, 2014.

1. MamaH

MamaH Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    Woodstock, GA
    I just got my 4 chicks yesterday. They all seem healthy and active, however one sleeps more than the rest. The smallest chick, she is an australorp. Like I said she does run around, eat, sleep, and poop. Is it possible that one of the 4 just needs/likes to sleep more than the others? Im new to this and just want to make sure that I am not missing anything! Thanks!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It could be that one was just hatched later. The first 2 days they tend to do it. Keep an eye on that one just to make sure, but I wouldn't worry too much if it is still eating, drinking, and pooping.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It could just be stressed and tired or she may have gotten chilled. In my last batch I had one that slept a lot the first day or so. She ate, drank and ran around some but she napped under the heat lamp a lot more then the rest. It took her about a day and half and then she perked up and was just fine. She apparently just needed warmth, rest and plenty of good food. Adding some Save-A-Chick to their water for a day or so often helps perk them up. Whether they are shipped to you or shipped to the feed store and purchased there, it is a big event for them, especially if they aren't able to stay warm enough along the way. But sometimes you may also get a chick that just fails to thrive for whatever reason, no matter what you do.

4. MamaH

MamaH Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    Woodstock, GA
    Thank you! I feel better now! She really does seem to be doing well. I think that a few were a day or two older than her like you said. Thank you guys!

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Try this ,,,, add some sugar to the water for several days
    and cook up some hard boiled egg's for them 1 egg per
    10 chicks peal the shell off and mash up real good with a
    fork and serve but remove your hand fast as the egg will
    tend to despair real fast ...... [​IMG]

After several days watch the energy level jump [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by