one chick to raise?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sneakers, Dec 11, 2011.

1. sneakers

sneakers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Pembroke virginia
    I have one chick to raise. Just hatched Saturday night. The other eggs chicks didnt make it.[​IMG] It is ten degrees outside this morning and I need advise. Keep this little baby inside or put it out under a heat lamp alone. I dont have a broody hen now. Help!!!![​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Easy peasy if it was up to me. It'd be living in my office...lol. At least till spring, when I'd find it a similar age flock mate. [​IMG] Chicken diapers can be ordered here on byc (not that you'd need one yet).

3. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    I would bring it in under a brooder and maybe try to find it a similar age 'hatch mate' (which is probably difficult this time of year) for it? I've heard of people giving their new babies a stuffie, or hanging a stuff with long dangly legs from the top of the brooder so that the chick can get under it and feel like it's sitting under a mama.

Good luck with your little fluffy butt!!

4. sneakers

Sep 13, 2010
    Pembroke virginia
    Thanks! Ive heard of a stuffed friend for puppies when they are seperated from their litter mates. Great idea:thumbsup I found a old wooden box. Put some wood shaveings in it. Set up a desk lamp, and thermometer. Now I have to go to town and get some chick starter and a little friend for my little orphan! Who is standing strong and peeping like crazy:yiipchick. Still not dry enough to leave the bator. I just cant put the little thing in a brooder in the barn by itself as cold as it is..... If the chick is a hen I think her name will be Annie! LOL!

5. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I had a single chick from my last hatch (incubator hassles) and it was about 2 weeks before the order of buddies arrived. She thought that my hand was her momma and would try to hide under it so I think a stuffed critter that it can hide under would be a hit! The benefit of a single chick is that they are SUPER tame! Our little one that is 2 weeks older than the others is an absolute sweetheart from 'bonding' with us early on. I wouldn't put the little one outside under a heat lamp yet.... keep it somewhere warmer for now especially as it is on its own. But, it won't be long before it will need to be out - they grow SO fast [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've had two lone ranger chicks in the house. One was injured in the coop and I had to take it from it's mama. The other hatched two days before it's hatchmate.

I cut the handle off of clean featherdusters to make them an instant mama. They loved their duster mamas.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Couple of tools may help #1 a NEW little feather duster so it can snuggle with it as a friend #2 A little fluffy teddy bear or stuffed animal maybe a chicken. #3 a mirror and if it doesn't attack it it will think it has a friend in there with it. #4 Music soft music so it can have noise around so it doesn't sound like its all by itself. #5 for the first few weeks while its legs are developing YOU CAN NOT DO THIS but get an apron with large pockets and put the chick in the pockets while you are walking around the house doing stuff. It will feel your heat, hear your heart beat and be active with you. Be prepared to be the chick-mate from that point on but for now it will keep it safe and happy being with you. Try and get some more chix at the local feed store or your local urban farm supply to get the chix some friends for the baby ASAP. Hope you like my ideas and best of luck.

8. sneakers

Sep 13, 2010
    Pembroke virginia
    Thanks everyone. Orphan Annie is doing great. In a wooden box in my laundry room. I found a stuffed dog toy that looks like a bird. I also took a mirror off a make up compact and placed that in the box too. Its just the right size!!! Annie is very content with her artifitial friends. I still have to find a feather duster. If you are wondering? Orphan Annie is a Standard Cochin destined to be great.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by