One chick well, one now sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juleslebo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. juleslebo

juleslebo New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    I have eight two and half week old chicks. One wasn't thriving, was lethargic, not eating and had drooping wings. After researching and talking to my vet, they suggested I try Sulmet. They are on their last day of it and the sick chick is now thriving. However, my Buff Orpington is now all puffed up and lethargic. Wondering if I should have tried Corid? Could I do so now after they've been on Sulmet? I also supplemented their feed with probiotics since they've been on the Sulmet. They go outside for a few hours in the morning in a covered pen and are inside with a heat lamp the rest of the day. We don't use chemicals on our lawn or garden either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    How hot is it with the heat lamp? Have they been panting at all? They may just be too hot.

Sumlet treats more strains of cocci and is stronger than Corid, so I wouldn't recommend switching to Corid at this point. How much longer should they be on Sumlet?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. juleslebo

juleslebo New Egg

Jun 6, 2011
    The heat lamp is a 100-watt red bulb hung about a foot over their box. It's about 90 degrees or so on that end of the box. They haven't been panting and she's keeping to that side of the box. Today is their last day on Sulmet. We did two days full strength and then four at half strength in their water. We feed them organic chick starter which is unmedicated. I called the vet this morning and he said he'd switch them back to the medicated feed. Do you agree? He also wants a fecal sample so I separated the one and collected one from her. Thank you for the response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by