One chick with very slow growth?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FirewifeJess, Apr 13, 2012.

1. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Hi everyone, I'm really new to this so bear with me.
    I have some questions as I'm a bit concerned with 2 of my 2 week old chicks. They appear to be very healthy chicks; they eat, they drink, they sleep a lot. But they're SO little compared to the rest of the 2 week olds! In fact, I just got 3 more 1 week olds and they're the same size. Why aren't the 2 older ones growing like the rest? One in particular is just tiny. She's a Buff Orpington and I have 3 other Buffs as well; the other 3 are huge and awkward and ugly because they're starting to feather out like crazy, and this little one is still a cute little ball of fluff with tiny wing feathers (the others have full wings now) and nothing else but down feathers. Anyone have any insight? It doesn't appear they are being bullied in any way, so I think they're eating enough and I know their vents are clear. Thanks!
    Here's a 2 weeker:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the *runt?*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    They could just be a runt...

3. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    bump!

4. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    bump again, really searching for some help here! Today I went to the feed store and got some water supplement to mix up, along with some probiotics to sprinkle on their food. I'm hoping this will help but if anyone has more suggestions I'm willing to listen to anything! I just don't want my sweet little girl to die without getting help if possible.

5. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    I have one that was supposed to be an EE that looks exactly like yours. All the other chicks are outgrowing her by leaps and bounds, and feathering like crazy. She's eating, drinking and pooping just like the rest so I guess we'll have to see how she does.

Your little one may just be a runt, or possibly a rooster. Roosters are much slower to feather, but the two I had were not any smaller, than the pullet. Hopefully she'll just be a late bloomer. [​IMG]

6. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    *sigh* I'm still so worried about this little lady. She's now smaller than the gals half her age. I've been giving probiotics in the food and a supplement in the water but she's not growing or feathering like all the rest. HELP!!! Should I take her to the vet or (sadly) just not worry too much about a $3 chick? [​IMG]

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Here is my runt Pip standing with Queen Bea (in my 6 year olds hands) they are almost 2 weeks old here. Pip was very tiny and grew very slowly but she was the loudest chick I had she kept up with her sisters played with the others put others in there place lol(and they listened) she ate and drank normally also. They are 7 weeks today and she has grown significantly. She now blends in with the others though still slightly smaller but no longer the smallest and she fits right in. I hope yours continues to grow and be healthy. I have heard some runts dont do so well so I wish you the best with her. Keep us posted.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Is it a good idea to handle her more right now, to keep her warm and stimulated? I was thinking about bringing her in the house last night while I watched TV so I could keep an eye on her. Or would that just stress her out being away from her flock? I've also tried to give her some treats and hand feed her as I do notice that when I give the girls worms she never gets one unless I shoo the others away and give her one from my hand.

9. FirewifeJess

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    PS your picture looks exactly like mine! We named the runt Cupcake because that's how big she still is.

10. clfehler

clfehler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    I have a runty little Buff Orpington that's about 3 weeks old who is just a tiny bit bigger than my 5 day olds! Like yours, It seems perfectly healthy. I took the precaution, however, of putting her back down with the smaller chicks so she won't get bullied. She's not very happy about it though. She's chirping like mad for her sisters! I think I'll give it a day or two and see how it goes. I hope yours is still doing well!

Cyndi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by