1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one chicken attacked

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by choopes, Mar 29, 2012.

1. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    I had a mean rooster, so I let him roam the yard. Yesterday I found one feather pile close to the door to my hen pen, and another smaller one over by the fence, going to the woods. I suspect a dog. The attack seemed to happen during the day. Of course my concern is that whatever it was will develop a taste for chickens, and be back

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Some dogs will kill and take the chicken with them, a whole lot of dogs will kill and move on, you'll usually find a dead bird/birds in the midst of all the feathers. Fox or coyote will grab and run, hence the feather piles here and there along the way. Could be other things too depending on what you have in your area.

And yes, whatever it was will very likely check back to see if more food is available.

3. Gallus Sapien

Gallus Sapien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Feathers?.....Was their a gut pile? I have seen bobcats remove feathers and even gut a bird.

4. Gallus Sapien

Gallus Sapien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Feather pile? Was there a gut pile? I have seen Bobcats remove feathers and even gut birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by