one chicken being pecked bloody by the rest of the flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by valmoisy, Jan 21, 2012.

1. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    We have 6 chickens, all different breeds, who are about 9 months old. We got them all at the same time as day old chicks. Juno, who is a partridge rock, has her butt constantly pecked by the rest of the chickens. The first time it happened I isolated her, cleaned up the wound and used blu-kote. Once she healed I reintroduced her to the coop and everything was good for about 2 weeks when I noticed that her bottom was bloody and she was constantly being pecked again. I isolated her again, cleaning and using blu-kote until she healed. As soon as I brought her back to the coop the other chickens immediately started pecking at her butt again. She's at the point now that she squats and allows the other chickens to peck at her. I'm at a loss as to what I should do. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sadly, unless you're wanting to go through this forever (and for her to go through this forever), I think you're going to have to rehome her...to someone who free ranges or keeps really mild mannered breeds.
    A farmer who keeps chickens for utilitarian purposes only would probably suggest that you cull her.
    It if was just one bird doing all of the pecking/picking, I would suggest getting rid of that bird. But if several of the others are doing it, then you can't really do that.
    Do you know what they're pecking at?? Do her feathers look odd or something??
    One last thing you could try is pinless peepers (use the search box - I think I even saw them advertised somewhere here on the site). If this hen means a lot to you, you might give those a shot first. I think it's so sad when things like this happen - so frustrating. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Thanks Teach. Your suggestions are pretty much what I thought. I don't want her to go through this over and over again and I'm not sure why they're all focusing on her. None of the birds are aggresive to anyone other than Juno. I don't see anything unusual about her feathers so I'm not sure what they're pecking at. I don't want her to suffer but I'm not sure that I'm ready to let her go. I need to give more thought to this but I appreciate your input. Maura

4. confusedbanti

confusedbanti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    somerset,CA
    .........go and get Pine Tar lotion form the Feed store and slap it on her behind ! its called Rooster Booster pick no more lotion . You do not need to get rid of her or separate her ! Use gloves to put it on. otherwise you have purple hands for a long time..... Blukote is to HEAL a wound NOT to prevent picking . I am having the same problem at the moment and it sucks big time . Really frustrating. Everyone picking on each others behind until they bleed. But the lotion has stopped that ! Read up on the rooster booster. keep us posted. Tania

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by