1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One Chicken Dead - Breast Down - No External Signs of Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheFarmerInDale, May 1, 2016.

1. TheFarmerInDale

TheFarmerInDale New Egg

May 1, 2016
    I had a friend watch our gals for 4 days this week. She said she had no problems.
    Yesterday we moved the ladies to a new grazing area, letting them free-range for the day while we moved them.
    One of the hens did not make it to the coop last night, and I figured she'd be gone come morning - as we have a bit of a coyote problem in our area. But I saw her strutting around the morning, happily still free-ranging.
    I opened up the coop this morning and didn't notice anything off (though still rubbing the grogginess from my eyes at that point).
    I come back less than an hour later to find this 2 year old gal dead, breast down, with no signs of struggle or bites.
    The coop is in good order, no holes anywhere except a slit where a young snake could squeeze through.

I'm about to go do an autopsy. Is there anything I should look for?
    Any and all help on a diagnosis would be appreciated greatly!

Circle of life. Just another chance to learn something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    Here's the link to the autopsy. I hope it's not too offensive at times.

Last edited: May 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by