One chicken hasn't come off winter break. It's June 25th.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by drsooseme2, Jun 25, 2011.

1. drsooseme2

drsooseme2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Marysville
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Not really sure what breed, 15 months, not sure but looks the same size as the other 3 chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Last egg she laid was Dec 3.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

In the month of Nov we got 92 eggs and I can tell their eggs apart (we only have 4 hens). Being that we got FOUR eggs on 11 days in the month of Nov it's not possible she's a rooster (doesn't crow either).

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No, the other 3 are laying beautifully.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No, she is fine in every other way.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Nothing out of the ordinary. My guess is something to do with hormones, protein or pecking order because she is position 4 of 4 but the other hens don't abuse her. She's just last to go up for the night and sometimes waits in line for treats etc.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Dumor layer crumble 20% protein, coop-tractor moves throughout the day, some kitchen treats and some scratch, occasionally cat food (purina one).

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Totally normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I just bought some frozen soybeans, cooked and peeled them and gave those to her this morning.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? N/A

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Coop tractor, town-house style, cedar flakes, diatomateous earth on linoleum. All 4 chickens are together 100% of the time (eating, sleeping, ranging etc).

If anyone thinks the soybean/estrogen idea is valid, how many beans per day should I give her? I gave her about a dozen individual beans this morning.

I appreciate ANY ideas. Thank you thank you!

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I got 2 RIR hens from a relative in January and one of them hasn't laid for me yet. She seems happy and healthy as well. I am stumped like you. Wish I had an answere.[​IMG]

3. drsooseme2

drsooseme2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Marysville
    Do you know if she laid for the previous owner? Or the last time she laid? How old you think she is?

My RIRs are on top of it. I wish I had more of them. I just hatched some Australorp and at least one EE-looking one which sadly I think is a boy. I have 7 new puffs and I think 4 are girls. I'm far, far, far from a sex-pert so we're gonna wait to see who crows and who lays [​IMG]

If I have any success with my soybean plan I'll keep you updated.

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Some chickens just don't lay well.
    We have one blue egg laying EE that hadn't laid since last OCTOBER! We only kept her because she went broody once and we were hoping for a repeat. She is laying now but it won't be enough to save her this fall.
    We also have a blue orp that we don't think has returned to lay since last fall's molt. She never goes into a nest box. She too will be leaving the flock.
    We keep a fairly good eye on who is laying how much using Steve's Chickentracker ( do a search for it). We even added columns to break it down to individual chickens. We find it handy in choosing which eggs to hatch based on the hen's laying habits.

You have to remember that in all species, there are a range of differences. There are some humans who don't reproduce well. Some drop babies all the time. Everything usually has a bell curve of ranges. You may be lucky and get one at the far end of that curve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by