One chicken is repeatedly laying thin shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sommrluv, Dec 22, 2009.

1. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    All the others, lay very thick shelled eggs. Almost diffucult to crack. I have free choice oyster shell, I mix in their shells into treats, and I have mixed some oyster shell into the crumbles and pellets.

I've also put vinegar in the water, and I'm fairly certain it's one girl. This is the fifth one, including a completely shellless egg. They are translucent almost, very thin, and white shells, and I have all brown egg layers. Often there is some shell or calcium deposits on one end, like brown dots or white crusted dots.

Is she broken, lol? But seriously, is this just her, should I cull her? I'm 99% certain it's my smallest girl, and she is very skittish, and is picked on the most. She's a Rhode Island Red/White rock cross from Moyers, and is the very lightest of all of them. (we call her blondie).

Any other things I haven't done?

2. TDB

TDB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    If she is part White Rock well then that explains the white egg. White Rocks lay white eggs. As for the thin shell theres not really anything more you can do.

3. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I wasn't sure if it was egg color, or a thinner, inner undeveloped shell. You can almost squeeze the shell, but it's nothing like a shellless egg. I've been giving them to the dogs, as they are rather dirty.

She's almost too small to butcher. I was thinking about seperating here, and seeing how she did on her own, with her own food she didn't have to fight anyone for. But I'm wary because I'd hate to reintroduce her and have her be EVEN MORE picked on.

4. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Not the best picture, but this is her:

[​IMG]

And this is one of her "sisters":

[​IMG]

5. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

If shes very young. I had a pullet that laid a shell less egg her first time. Something isnt right. Im thinking white rocks should lay brown eggs. Barred Plymouth Rocks do. I think all Rocks do. RIRs lay a darker brown egg than rocks do. And a cross between These two should be a good sized bird. Your other birds by picking on her all the time may be telling you there is something wrong with her. A rooster usually keeps hens from squabbling. If her eggs dont harden I think you should cull her. The other hens may be keeping her from getting proper nutrients.

6. sommrluv

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Sadly, I think I agree with you. That picture was at 18 weeks, she's probably 22 now (maybe) and she is NOT any bigger, and still has a pinkish comb. The other moyers hens have gained and gained and lay every day, since they weren't yet 19 weeks.

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    try oyster shell. it gives them calcium for a stronger shell.[​IMG]

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    First paragraph says she does give them oyster shell [​IMG]

I'd try the experiment -- separate her out so she's not being chased away from the food/calcium and see what happens. If only out of curiosity.

9. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I don't think that I would cull her just because she not laying right now. I would give her oyster shell for awhile, make sure she is getting enough to eat, and just wait it out. I get enough eggs from my other girls to satisfy me...just my opinion...

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Separate her with another hen. Pick the one who is picking on her the least. Hopefully when you reintroduce them, they will stay friends.

If she still has a pink comb - are you sure she is even laying? She maybe a later bloomer than her "sisters". Did her comb ever redden and get puffy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by