One Chicken keeps getting picked on by the rest

coolchange

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
I have 11 Rhode Island Reds and 2 buffs and they are all just under a year old and the one buff is getting pecked constantly by the others to the point where she has few feathers on her back side. Is there any way to get them to quit doing this or something I can put on her back? Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it!

I had this senario playing out in my flock .. I finally figured out why when I got rid of my Roo ... the lowly hen that became my favorite because she was getting picked on was actually a Rooster that was at the bottom of everyones pecking order ..

She .. i mean he ... started crowing 2 mornings ago .. hope your issue isnt what mine was ...

Mark

I came for the same reason! Per advice I let two black orpingtons out with the general population because they were getting pecked. Both now have bloody backs! All in ONE DAY! I put them back in separation. How do we get them to stop doing this? They are new chickens, am I just going to have to get rid of them? When they stay in the coop alone they both lay eggs. Of course, nothing today, poor things.

well i have also had a chicken that has got picked on so i put her in a cage over the winter and in the summer the other onse should not be so hard on it because chickens get board in the winter and in the summer they have more to do.

and how big is the coop because it's not good if its to small.

carmen.

My chickens have all the space they want most of the time, and never pick on one another because they scoot out of the way fast if one comes at them.

But, when they are penned up, it's the bottom roos who have to move fast. They stay on the perch all day to avoid top roo. The silkies have been found stuck in a crack, poor guys.

Some of the hens get pecked when inside, but they are not in pen enough to have it show.

I guess chickens need a lot of room.

Back
Top Bottom