One chicken left...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nancyinatx, Oct 18, 2015.

1. nancyinatx

nancyinatx New Egg

Oct 1, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Hi everyone! I started with a tiny flock of 3 - 2 silkies and 1 serama. Last week one of the silkies started crowing, so yesterday I gave him(!!!) to a friend. When I got home, I found the other silkie had died :( she had been sick. So, in one day I'm down to just one bird. She is looking all over for her buddies, poor thing. I know there are a bunch of threads about introducing new birds. But I didn't see anything about introducing new birds to just one original bird. Should I only get her one friend for now? Or can I get two? She's tiny, I want to keep the chance of her being picked on as low as possible. Any advice? Oh and she is about 5 months old, not laying yet. Thanks, y'all!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Seramas are little chickens that can carry their own. I suggest you get 2 young pullets and preferably bantam breed to keep her company. It is always best to add chickens in 2, or such. You serama may be picking on the new comers to your surprise, but they are friendly birds. In short time all will be well. I had seramas in the past so I know. and I also kept them alongside my standards.

WISHING YOU BEST AND [​IMG]

3. nancyinatx

nancyinatx New Egg

Oct 1, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Thank you, cavemanrich! :yiipchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by