One chicken left :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KathyReadsAlot, Aug 24, 2010.

1. KathyReadsAlot

KathyReadsAlot New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Catalina
    A few days ago a coyote got one of our chickens. We only had two (Sylvester and Tweety). The hens have been together from the very beginning. We worry about Sylvester being lonely. What should we do? Have Sylvester join another flock? Keep the little lady? I sure loved those girls.

2. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I'm so sorry you lost your other chicken. Chickens are flock animals and do not do well alone. Either give your girl away or get her some friends. It's best to have 4 chickens in case something happens.

I hope you get your girl some friends!

3. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:I'd bring Sylvester in the house in a crate, or loose with a diaper, until it's safe & secure outside. A second (or more!) hen would be a good idea. If you are allowed to have a roo he would give some protection/alarm for predators.
    You don't say where you are. I have a few extras [​IMG]

4. KathyReadsAlot

KathyReadsAlot New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Catalina
    Thank you. My husband doesn't want any more chickens. Our housing development doesn't allow them. We love these girls and their more pet than provider. I know where we went wrong with the coop and think we could do okay this time. We'll see.
    If I give this girl to another flock will she be picked on by the other chickens? I worry about the pecking order. She's much too sweet to be picked on.

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I'm sorry about Tweety.

6. KathyReadsAlot

KathyReadsAlot New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Catalina
    I'm in Arizona. I'd love to have a few more chicks!

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I just saw that you were new, [​IMG]. You might want to check out this thread for AZ folks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31227&p=827 I'm from Tucson, nice to greet a fellow Arizonan. If you got just two or three younger birds, then Sylvester will most likely be the top bird for some time. You could also wait until she gets broody and put some chicks or eggs under her. Who knows when that might happen though. She needs companions.

8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Hi, I am also sorry about your hen
    The deal about the other one joining a flock is,it depends on how she is introduced.
    I rarely have a problem, but I take time introducing............I keep the new one in a wire cage with the other chickens for a week or so to let them get aquainted............by the time I let them out.the others think they belong there.....
    Hope your husband changes his mind and brings another hen in.
    good luck either way...................

9. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Sorry for your loss. Once you get a secure coop, I would get your girl a few friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by