One chicken picking out other chickens feathers?

Silvers

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2017
She is not doing it maliciously, she wants to eat them, but she is doing it constantly. She picks at all the chickens, even the rooster, but focuses mainly on the two white ones. The feathers she goes for are small and usually on their bottoms or rumps.
They have plenty of space and their feed has protein pellets. I'm not sure how to get her to stop save for putting bad tasting gel on the chickens, and that would mean covering half their bodies.
So how can I get her to stop?

Thanks for any and all answers! (;

Have you heard of pinless peepers? They obstruct forward vision and can make it hard to target a victim to pick feathers. In the short term, many have found this to be a good solution. However, it may not work for the long run as a chicken can learn to work around them.

I have had a long running feather picking problem in my flock. I've tried just about everything. Lately, I read that vitmin B complex, especially niacin may curb cannibalism in certain animals. I'm treating four hens and it shows definite promise. I suggest you install some pinless peepers and give the B vitamins a try.

She is not doing it maliciously, she wants to eat them, but she is doing it constantly. She picks at all the chickens, even the rooster, but focuses mainly on the two white ones. The feathers she goes for are small and usually on their bottoms or rumps.
They have plenty of space and their feed has protein pellets. I'm not sure how to get her to stop save for putting bad tasting gel on the chickens, and that would mean covering half their bodies.
So how can I get her to stop?

Thanks for any and all answers! (;
What exactly does this mean?
What percentage protein are they getting overall?

Huddling together in a dog house at night might not be 'plenty of space'.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1150523/how-many-chickens-can-fit-here#post_18003333

Back
Top Bottom