One chicken that the flock will not accept.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BMT Farms, Oct 3, 2011.

1. BMT Farms

BMT Farms New Egg

Oct 3, 2011
    [​IMG] I have a dark Brahma that I can not get the flock to accept. They have almost killed her once and had her bleeding another time. I kept her in a cage in the coop for about 3 weeks before I let her out and that did not work, now if I let everyone out to free range she is fine with everyone but if she is in the run or the coop with them they attack her. She is younger than them but the same size. Any suggestions? I keep her in her cage unless they are all out free ranging. I feel bad, but I just want to keep her safe.

2. auntie hattie

auntie hattie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I have a similar situation just reversed. My bully I have to put in a cage at night. The rest of the flock all do fine. They are all younger than she is and smaller. I'm hoping she will calm her self down. She is 26 weeks and should be laying but hasn't yet. So I'm just waiting for and egg to she if she will be better after that. I feel badly putting her by herself in a cage at night but at least she can free range during the day. Wish I had some advise. I am learning with chickens it is just trail and error. Sometimes things work out sometimes things don't. I have had to give up 3 chickens to get my flock to where it is now. I am really hoping I can make this chicken work herself into this new flock I have added. Good luck.

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Try getting a gentleman rooster that will be nice to her to keep her company

4. BMT Farms

BMT Farms New Egg

Oct 3, 2011
    I did get a rooster, but he is only about 4 weeks old. Not old enough to keep her company yet! I am hoping that enough time out free ranging all together she will be accepted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by