One chicken with mushy yellow poop, no sign of worms. Help!

singwithmylife

Chirping
May 3, 2020
Ohio
1) Deathlayer, 15 weeks old and maybe 2 lbs. She seems very thin.
2) She is laying down a lot. She does still get up to eat, drink, and roost, but her tail and wings are droopy and when she walks she seems really weak.
3) The drooping and laying around have only been happening a couple of days. She has had the weird poop for a few weeks.
4) No other birds are exhibiting any of her symptoms.
5) There is no bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) Nothing has happened that I know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) I thought she had been eating and drinking normally but her crop doesn’t feel full at all.
8) The poop looks pasty and yellow. Not foamy at all. Sometimes almost normal but still yellow. This has been going on for weeks but there were no other symptoms so I was just watching her and then she went downhill quickly.
9) I have added rooster booster to her food and ACV & probiotics to her water.
10 ) I want to help her but I can’t afford to take her to a vet.
11) The attached picture is what her poop has been like.
12) Attached is a picture of the coop. I hatched her myself. She was on Aspen shavings for the first nine weeks in the brooder and then moved to sand when she came out to the coop.
E6D5A693-5BBA-4ABA-9775-4F619ABB1F3B.jpeg
4030012B-4A15-439C-87C8-49C15DC466CA.jpeg

I have added rooster booster to her food and ACV & probiotics to her water.
I would cut these out, just plain fresh water.

I would isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

She is laying down a lot. She does still get up to eat, drink, and roost, but her tail and wings are droopy and when she walks she seems really weak.
3) The drooping and laying around have only been happening a couple of days. She has had the weird poop for a few weeks.

The poop looks pasty and yellow. Not foamy at all. Sometimes almost normal but still yellow. This has been going on for weeks

I have added rooster booster to her food and ACV & probiotics to her water.
What are you feeding including treats?
Can you get some better photos of her?

I would consider treating for Coccidiosis. Corid can be found in the cattle section of Tractor Supply. Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days. Don't add anything else to the water and stop any extra vitamins/electrolytes during the treatment period.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight (before she's had anything to eat/drink in the morning). Look her over really well for lice/mites while you are checking her out.

@aart She was on just fresh water before she started acting funny.

@Wyorp Rock She has been on kalmback flock maker 20% since hatching. I rarely give dried soldier fly larvae or meal worms. Sometimes I’ll give small amounts of spinach, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, or apples. Not more than once every few weeks. This poop has been consistent for at least a month. None of the others have it.

I had to go out of town so I’m waiting for my husband to send a picture.

Did you get any answers by chance?? I’m going through the same thing right now.... just a few weeks behind you. Similar poop, but everything else is normal. Not lethargic (yet) eating and drinking fine.

Back
Top Bottom