1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

One chicken won't go in coop on her own if there is no light, the other four know to go inside - how

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickadee mama, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Chickadee mama

Chickadee mama New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    We have five young chickens between four and five months old: one plymoth rock, one buff rock, one partridge rock bantam, and two bantam silkies. Everyone knows to go into the coop on their own when it gets dark excpet for our oldest, the partridge rock bantam. She roosts on top of the coop and I have to coax her onto my hand and then I put her in the coop. If we put the light on inside the coop ( we run a extension cord with light bulb affixed temporarily ) then she goes in on her own. I have kept the light off the last week in hopes she will go in on her own, but no luck. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Repetition seems like your best bet. Eventually your little hen's instinct will kick in to roost above the ground and in a safe area. Mother hens usually teach this but without a mama hen you have to teach her to sleep in the coop on the roost until she gets the memo.

[​IMG] Welcome to BYC...I'm Whittni one of the Coloring book Graphic editors.

3. Chickadee mama

Chickadee mama New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Thank you. I had forgotten she still needs some training as she is so young and never had a mother to show her.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by