1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one cochin swollen eyes/one gone :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Janos&Jen, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Janos&Jen

Janos&Jen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    My son came home yesterday and discovered one of our silver laced cochins with swollen eyes. I immediately had him quarantine her and I went down to the feed store and got antibiotics to put in the water. I gave the other birds the medicine too as a precautionary. This morning we went out to find another cochin dead. She didn't show any symptoms. I know this is serious and I need to get the sick one in to find out the problem but I can't do anything till I get off work this afternoon. I have to leave for work now so I can't fill out the form for this thread but i will do my best to get online later and do it. We didn't notice any symptoms till yesterday afternoon. She isn't moving much but she is peeping a lot.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silver Laced Cochin-12 weeks not sure of weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. not moving much not drinking
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? since yesterday
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. unsure
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. haven't noticed
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I didn't see this morning, dealt with the one that died.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? antibiotics in the water (which she hasnt drank) and neosporin on eyes
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I think it will have to go to vet
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use: in hen house that we built and using pine shavings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. comedianchick

comedianchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    it is probably some kind of sinus infection its good you quaranteened her !!!!maybe try flushing her eyes out with saline?!?

3. Janos&Jen

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    As of this morning the 2nd one is gone also [​IMG] I was really hoping she would pull thru. I did give them penicillin yesterday as the feed store was out of tylan. Another chick has green coming out of her nose. I hope the medicine kicks in soon enough. [​IMG]

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    You really need the Tylan for this. The antibiotics at the feed store have been used so much and so irresponsibly no longer are effective.

All of them are infected by now. This has been going on for at least a few days. It's hard to notice at first and progresses rapidly. Keep them warm using a heat lamp and use contact lens saline solution to getly wipe their nose and eyes. Use a cotton ball for this and a new cotton ball for each chicken you treat.

They need extra nutritious food and treats. Anything to get them to eat to keep their strength up so they can fight this. Scrambled eggs, shredded carrots, scratch, shelled sunflower seeds and chopped greens.

Good luck.

5. Janos&Jen

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    Thanks so much for the reply! I will do just this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by