one coop or maybe a double? Space ? please help...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tielsflyhigh, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tielsflyhigh

tielsflyhigh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    I have 4 regular size pullets in the brooder and 3 silkie straight run chicks ...

We do have 300+ days of sunshine around here with many warmer days in winter - it does snow and can get cold but never longer than for 1-4 days at a time so the hens would not be confined to the coop a lot.

We actually have 2 coops right now - a converted playhouse that is about 3x3' and a coop that is about 4x4'. The hens will have access to a 5x12'run

Has anyone ever tried to use 2 coops and connect them somehow- would the hens use them both if we offered both of them ?

Will our setup be big enough for all of them ? ( minus maybe one or 2 roosters that we can't keep in the straight runs )

I know that there is NEVER enough space for chickens but I don't want to cramp them ...

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you connected them so that they roosted in, maybe, the 3x3, then had to walk thru the 4x4 to get out to the run (or had doors from both out to the run), it sounds worth trying. Might well work fine [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Here are my two coops, they are sharing one run and each group know where to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will take some time to teach them what to do but it works after a week or so.

Omran

4. tielsflyhigh

tielsflyhigh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Thank you for those pictures !!!- I was thinking about doing it that way - one coop for the layers , one for the silkies ( and future chicks ) with one shared run - I would have to teach them where to go though - I'll just have to wait and see I guess [​IMG]- they might be perfectly happy in one coop...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by