One Crazy Egg

CSolis

Crossing the Road
May 17, 2020
Red Level, AL
A funny thing happened today. When I collected eggs from the pen where my Cinnamon Queens and two EE hens reside, I found one tiny copper egg in the nest along with the regular sized eggs I have come to expect. Who or what could have laid that? Tiny copper egg on top is the one I'm asking about. Egg next to index finger is from a bantam BO that recently started laying, but she's in another pen. I included it for size reference.
IMGP0004.JPG

Those are called fairy eggs. Which hen did not lay a normal egg today? That is who it is from. When you open it it is likely it does not have a yolk. If it does it will be very small. If the hen who layed it is just coming into lay, she is just getting her reproductive system (back) in order.

A funny thing happened today. When I collected eggs from the pen where my Cinnamon Queens and two EE hens reside, I found one tiny copper egg in the nest along with the regular sized eggs I have come to expect. Who or what could have laid that? Tiny copper egg on top is the one I'm asking about. Egg next to index finger is from a bantam BO that recently started laying, but she's in another pen. I included it for size reference.View attachment 2979283
Fairy eggs are known to be much smaller. And they are often darker too. Could be anyone, really. I wouldn't worry, as long as this isn't an often occurrence.

Back
Top Bottom