One day olds and a month old chick together bad idea??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EmAbTo48, Feb 3, 2012.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have a chick in the house with its mother, the chick is a month old now. The hen is making a disaster pit of the room they are in she is constantly scratching a flinging stuff all over I honestly probably sweep the floor about 5 times a day! I would like to take mom back outside and set up a brooder for the chick, but don't want it to be lonely. I have someone selling Sliver Laced Wyndottes that hatch the 6 and 11th of this month.

Will the older chick peck at younger ones? I was only planning on getting 2. I also have no idea if this chick is female/male. I hoping female!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Why not put both mom and chick outside together? She'll still take care of her baby outside, and you wont have to worry about mixing chicks of different ages. Good luck...

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have chicks of different ages together. When the oldest chicks are about 6 weeks old, thats usually when they will pick on the newly hatched ones. If you take the older chick and put it by itself for a few hours than introduce the new chick, I might bond quicker. They don't like being alone.
    But I do agree with the above post.

4. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin

I would but its way to cold here for the chick, its been nice in the 30s for a few days, but the weather will change quickly dropping down to negatives. I also do not trust the rest of the flock with a month old chick even with mom. She was the lone chick that hatched out of 4 so I had hoped for more chicks so I could have taken mom out and not felt bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by