1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One day only, best deal ever on hygrometer/thermometers!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by onthespot, Oct 29, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    do you think it's any good?

3. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Wow. Thank You.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Retails for $50. for only $2..... Hhmmm, I wonder if it would work inside the incubator. It is made for a desktop, but it would be worth a try I think. [​IMG]

5. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    It should work as well as the Accurite digital type thermo/hygrometers. And will most like suffer from the same inaccuracy associated with the Accurite. Not that this one, or the accurite ones, are a bad unit. When placed inside a warm humidity controlled enviroment, along with eggs or other materials, The sensors, and other electronic, used with the temp/humdity readers will eventually corrode and become inaccurate. Incubating eggs do give off gases that will effect the measurement readings of the electronic sensors. These type units are electronic, and warm humid enviroments and electronics dont play well together. To get a truely digital accurate temp/hydgometer, you would have to purchase something specificly designed to work in the environment created by the working incubator. Ideally, the sensor would be attached to the digital readout display by use of a wire, where as the sensor could be placed inside the incubator without exposeing the rest of the instrument to the enviroment inside the incuator cabinet. The current digital temp/hygrometers use a sensor mounted onboard the electronic control board resulting in the need to place the entire instrument inside the incubator for temp/humdity reading.

At $1.99 I would buy several to keep on hand. Most hobbiest, are not willing to pay the added expense to purchase an expensive instrument, even tho the replaceing of seveal cheap thermo/hydrgometers, would quickly add up to the initial purchase price of a really good instument. Also not to mention the cost associated with poor hatch rates using expensive eggs. How many threads have you read where someone used 2,3 and even 4 different instruments/brands to cross reference temp/humdity because they didnt really trust any of them.

6. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks for the heads up! I bought one, came out to $6.98. I found it on Amazon for around $25 including shipping. Might as well give it a try for that price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by