One dead 1year old chicken and now another with poopy butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylabdogs, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mylabdogs

mylabdogs New Egg

Feb 14, 2011
    Hi. I had what seemed to be a very healthy White Leghorn suddenly die. The three days before she died, she would lay eggs and they were the kind that the shell is not hard. They free range, layer mash, corn and oyster shells plus clean water. ANyways, this morning I noticed her in the coop and not out with the others. I took a peek at her and her eyes were closed. I pet her and she opened one eye and then closed them again and her head was drooping. I went inside and came out to find her dead. I cut into her (because I wanted to show my kids the eggs inside etc) and none of the eggs had shells. I tried to see if she was some how blocked in her intestines and I didn't see anything. Well now I noticed one of my Barred Rock chickens has a very pasty, poopy butt. I know I am paranoid (due to the death) but do you think this is some how related? Going to try to clean her now. Any advice is very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Samantha

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unless it is just a treat in small amounts, I would cut out the corn. It is like candy to them and they will eat it instead of the nourishment they need if they can.

I have no idea whether this is what happened to your hen. I don't think the egg really has a shell, a hard one, until just before it is laid, but I would have to check it out.

Here is a link about various causes of soft shelled eggs:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Have you checked for mites?

4. mylabdogs

mylabdogs New Egg

Feb 14, 2011
    I did check for mites and lice. They all looked good. I gave the dirty booty girl a bath and she actually seems fine. I think maybe I was being a nervous nellie because Victoria died for no apparent reason. Thanks for the helpO:)

5. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Glad to hear there are no mites. Little creepy crawlies freak me out! (Probably due to my mom's paranoia about lice because she is a teacher.) If there are no mites, lice, or worms, it probably wouldn't hurt to give them some yogurt. Probiotics will help if she's just having GI problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by