One dead chick, 5 more losing vigor....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bucket04, Apr 11, 2011.

1. bucket04

bucket04 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    Hi, I just hatched my second batch of eggs. My first batch, I got 4 of 7, and they are 4 weeks old, healthy, etc..... My second batch, I got 6 of 35 eggs, 2 with curled toes, 4 'healthy' looking.

They were born April 5-7th.
    One of the healthy looking ones died today. The others are all laying around the box, not really doing much of anything.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    EE, home grown, less than one week old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Listless, showing no real desire to eat, drinks water semi-okay, not as often as I think they should be.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Just noticed this behavior today. Several hours....

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    All 5 babies in brooder have same symptoms.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I suspect they were eating bedding, prior to me putting down paper towel on top of it....

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Will only eat when I drop the food on the floor of the brooder, drinking is less than I expect.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Some look normal, some watery, no blood.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Nothing yet. Been trying to find answers first.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Going to try to save them at home, I have less than 2 days before I will be going on a trip, leaving my husband and older children in charge. If they die, they die, but I don't want them to be sickly adults. They were supposed to go to someone else.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No picture, just listless, sleeping birds.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Temporary cardboard box with 40 watt light bulb in one end, on dimmer switch. They do not seem too hot or too cold based on their behavior prior to slumping today. Bedding is pine shavings with paper towel over it now. (covered it last night when I noticed their food really wasn't being eaten much.)

I had planned on moving them to the larger brooder with my older chicks in a couple days, (one week old), but if it's illness, I don't want to spread it to the older birds, and if it's them eating the bedding, I can't move them till they start eating real food since the larger brooder has the same bedding.

I am sad but not depressed about this, being this new to hatching/brooding my own, I knew I could suffer some losses. I just hope to not lose all of them. Still not sure what to do about the 2 crippled ones. [​IMG] I tried bandaids on their feet, they just pecked them off or refused to walk at all.

2. Mary-Margaret

Mary-Margaret Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Haywood County
    Thats sad but happy at the same time do you have any idea about what happened to the other 29

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sugar water?? Electrolytes? Vitamins? I'm really sorry...

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    bucket -

Check your temps at chick level, they might be too hot ot too cold.
    Also, check their crops. (the bump on the right side of their chests) It should be full at night and empty, i.e. flattened, in the morning. If it doesn't empty overnight it could be the shavings are a problem and you will need to get some oil lavage going to clean it out.

I really think the temp is the biggest concern. Assuming you have fresh water, chick starter and nothing else in the way of food, temp is what I would check first. Dimmers are notoriously unreliable. Raise and lower the bulb until it gets to about 85 degrees F. at chick level and have the bulb at one end of the brooder so they have a cooler place to go to.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  5. bucket04

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    I lost a few early on, stopped developing... I went into lockdown with 28 eggs, 3 of which I wasn't sure of, so really, 25 eggs I thought really had a chance.

I am not sure what happened, I did open the bator on hatching day, because my eggs were staggered over 5 days and I removed the first two chicks after they had fluffed out... I probably caused problems doing that. Plus getting in to turn the eggs by hand after the first eggs are in lockdown was probably a bad idea too.... (Lesson learned, I'm never doing a staggered hatch again.)

It was a homemade incubator, and I think my heat source might have had hot/cool spots, plus I think my humidity was too high for most of the first 18 days making them too large and soggy to survive. Lots of lessons learned in this hatch or lack-thereof. Really humbles a person who *thought* they knew what they were doing. [​IMG]

6. bucket04

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    Quote:Thanks. I will play with the light. I had my hand in there several times today and it doesn't feel overly warm at all, even directly under the light. They aren't huddled under there or far away from there, they still seem to be all over the box. I just put a thermometer in there to see what it reads. [​IMG] (currently 81... I raised the temp a tiny bit, and will keep checking.)

Their crops are currently empty. They have fresh water in there all the time, (I change it at least every hour). Their food is Chick Starter Grower, 18%. I did have my other ones on medicated chick starter, but I was going through too many bags of it (they only had really small bags) so I switched to this kind so I could get a 50# bag. Should I go back to the medicated starter for these ones?? They haven't been on that yet. Only the older ones. Could it be that the Starter/Grower is too large? I did crush some in a bag with a rolling pin yesterday but I don't think they are eating it if their crops are still empty.

BTW... I LOVE your tag line. I too believe they WILL eat you if given the chance. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  7. bucket04

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    Okay, so I ran to Big R and got some Medicated Chick Starter and some electrolytes. I put just a pinch in the water till it turned a very pale yellow (how does one divide an 8 ounce package of dry powder that's supposed to be enough for 110 gallons, and get the correct ratio for maybe 2 ounces of water in a small bowl?) Anyway.... so far, there's not much change. The chicks aren't drinking, I saw them in the food for a few moments but they don't look like they are eating really. I picked up each one and dribbled some water on their beaks, most of them swallowed, one refused to. Hopefully that one still got a tiny bit in there.

8. bucket04

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    Just wanted to update anyone watching... The chicks are a LOT more lively today! They are all eating, drinking and pooping a lot more.
    One of them breathes funny, kinda looks like a frog's throat.... not sure what, if anything I can do about that. But she's doing better other than that.

Temp is at 88, they do seem to sleep together under the light when they nap, I don't know if I want to raise the temp on them though.... I think there is a thin line on barely too cold to way too hot. Plus as the room temp climbs today in the house, I think the box will naturally get warmer too.

Anyway... some fear has subsided today. Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by