One dead hen, know the cause though-but don't know what it means!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imissmyroofabio, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Imissmyroofabio

Imissmyroofabio Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, so I had 6 chickens, now I have 3. Gave 2 to a friend with a farm (loud roo, and his hen) and one passed. well put down after days of vet trips, and living in my basement inside a kiddie pool filled with wood chippings. She was paralyzed, and had a lump on her stomach. Eating and drinking, only because we put it right in front of her (she was paralyzed as mentioned) but we had decided enough was enough, and we got her put down (sad day). We took her from a necropsy and found she had died from SUBCAPSULAR RENAL HEMORRHAGE.

Anatomic findings-
    Chompy
    Rhode Island Red Female
    3 years
    weighed 4.50 lbs
    Fat Pad(dont know what this means, please explain!) 1
    Developing Ova- 0
    Feather score- 100%
    Foot Pad Score-0 normal
    Gizzard Erosion-0 normal

small white nodules present on spleen
    right kidney enlarged with dark brown/black discoloration of lower lobe, appears to be a subcapsular hemorrhage/ clot from renal artery
    heart- Necrotic clot in left atrium from the injection to be put down
    Left Sciatic nerve- Mildly Enlarged

they said Merek's cannot be ruled out, for it may have been an early stage.
    Aerobic culture of Kidney swab yielded growth of E Coli, Enterococcus species and Enterococcus faecalis.
    Mixed bacterial species were isolated from the speciman.

if you have any comments or questions about any info I may have left out (like other comments they put) pm me or post on the thread because I still have the necropsy report.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So she had a kidney infection, but died of a heart stick euthanization.

Sorry for your loss.

3. Imissmyroofabio

Dec 18, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the help, they just said the hemorrhages no like disease or anything

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree, she was experiencing Kidney failure due to infection. I have seen the paralysis thing in several types of animals who are experiencing kidney failure. I don't think it's real paralysis so much as being so miserable and exhausted that they can't move.

The fat pad refers to the levels of fat the girl had in her body (often a good signifier if improper nutrition caused the condition.) She scored normal so it's nothing of consequence.

You did the right thing in putting her down, she wouldn't have recovered.

5. ruffles

ruffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    My God, and I am serious sounds like a lab report on some of my senior patients

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    With the small white nodules on the spleen and enlargment of a sciatic nerve and paralyzed , It sounds like Marek's. At 3 years old, the nodules may be tumor growth, the enlarged sciatic nerve is one of the things they look for in Marek's.

She may have looked like she was eating, but was she thin or wasted?

7. Imissmyroofabio

Dec 18, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:She was always skinny, even as a baby. She was a runt, weighing about as much as my White Leghorn

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    When older chickens present with Marek's it's usually wasting. And they can waste over a long period of time. I remember how many chickens I thought were being bullied or not eating, and I was stuffing them with goodies. Didn't help. And paralysis is from enlarged or swollen nerves, and the sciatic nerves are the most common but not the only ones.

I'm sorry it happened to you and your chicken.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  9. Imissmyroofabio

Dec 18, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I remember stuffing Chompy with cheerios or little things I would bring out to them. I would always put a bunch in front of her... thanks for explaining that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by