One demanding 19 day old chick???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhour4pm, Sep 26, 2011.

1. happyhour4pm

happyhour4pm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    I thought I had read all the threads about the hatching part but i was not expecting this?
    I have 9 eggs in the bator, my temps and humidity were good throughout. I locked them down on the 18th day got the humidity up to around 70. On the 19th day( yesterday) one of the eggs pipped and hatched all within an hour?
    Ok now for the part I did not read about. This chick is the nosiest chick you could imagine, we can hear him throughout the whole house. All the dogs are camped out under the bator wondering what all the fuss is about? He has all the other eggs all knocked all over he acts like he is starving? he is pecking at the other eggs and the cartons I had cut up to put the eggs in. When we go in the room to check on things he trys to stand on the other eggs to look back at us and screams louder.[​IMG]
    The other eggs have tiny little pips in them but looks like nothing all the way through the shell. I am having to sit on my hands not to quickly grab him out of there and put him in the brooder. I know i am not suppose to open the bator.
    Any suggestions???
    Is this normal??? I guess i was just expecting things to go a bit slower ?

2. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Oh I know exactly what you mean! I had one last hatch which was the NOISIEST and OBNOXIOUS little thing ever, pipped and hatched within an hour like yours!! He definetly isnt starving..he should be ok in there..just finding his ground I guess lol! [​IMG] Congrats on day number 19..Ive had many hatch at day 19! Its a shock....

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    He's lonely poor guy! He'll calm down a bit when he has a brother or sister to run around with.

4. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    I would say he's lonely. We have one sole turkey that survied and I had to stick a mirror in there with him so that he would calm down. I could hear him over the surround sound! LOL

5. chipmunkridge

chipmunkridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    Yep, we call this Shriek Peeping. Wait until you have a brooder
    full of chicks and the light goes off, they all shriek like the
    world is ending.
    [​IMG]

6. happyhour4pm

happyhour4pm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    Thanks all, I am glad I listened to all I read on here and I kept my grubby little hands out of there because we now have a buddy for him and we actually got to witness it. It is still loud in the other room with all the chatting going on, they have a lot to catch up on.[​IMG]

7. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    So exciting [​IMG] I'll stay tuned to hear of your other hatches! Sounds like you will have a bator full [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by