1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one duck dead, i think another is dying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tequilajade, May 10, 2016.

1. tequilajade

tequilajade Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    hi all, I don't know if anyone else has had this issue here, i couldnt find it glancing over things, and i have my hands full of an ailing duckling.

we had 3 ducklings, one peking, and two khaki campbells. the peking was hatched on march 30, and the khaki campbells were hatched on april 7th.

The peking duck died this last weekend. I thought it was due to an injury, even though I couldn't find one. and now one of the khaki's is real lethargic, and I'm currently fighting her to try to get food and water into her. (i'm pretty sure both khaki's are female, the peking we didn't know)

the other khaki is still the boisterous, energetic duckling she's always been.

This one is not. usually they take off running at the first hint of freedom, and resist being held. as well as try to jump out of the brooders. we did put a lid on the brooders, and they've been off the lights for a couple weeks now. just letting them feather out since it still gets REAL cold here.

does anyone have any idea what might be going on? and is the last duck going to die of loneliness or anything like that if we lose her? she's also walking weird, like she's limping, but can't find any sign of an injury, and no sign of distress on poking and prodding her. she just wants to lie down and sleep (die?) and I've been trying to keep her moving. they get clean food and water daily, clean the brooders every other day, and they are kept in the house currently. they are on a grower formula.

thanks in advance

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    @Debs Flock
    @RavynFallen

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    What exactly is the grower formula? If it's chick starter it's not enough... to me it sounds like it could be niacin deficiency, but I'm not totally certain... are you giving them brewers yeast or a niacin/B3 complex supplement??

@Amiga is much better than me at severe emergencies... any ideas???

4. tequilajade

Apr 7, 2016
    i think it is just chick starter. it's what tractor supply company told us to give them when we bought them. how would I give them niacin? and is it too late for the one?

I'm also wondering if the heat today might have had something to do with it? the house got into the high 80s by the time we got the temperature back under control (it was miserable for everyone involved)

nature seems to be extremely bipolar this year.... still in the 20s at night, and 70s-80s during the day. awesome for maple syrup, not so great for literally everything else.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What is the temperature?

You say their box is covered - what's the lid made of?

How large is their brooder - and what is it made of?

Lethargy could be from a number of things.

Dehydration, hypothermia, virus, bacteria, toxins...

I would get a safe thermometer (not mercury) into the brooder to monitor that. They can overheat.

I would put some poultry vitamins with electrolytes into their water once or twice a week for now.

6. tequilajade

Apr 7, 2016
    @Amiga

the box itself is a very large rubbermaid bin. 65 gallons I think. no heat lamp, the lid is just screen material (like window screen) stretched over a wood frame. and I don't usually have the lid on theirs, because they don't jump out. it is only the two ducks in it. and during the day, they usually go outside to the yard with the filtered pond I built, but today I didn't get that option, I had to spend about 12 hours in the car today... yuck.

when I left this morning, everyone was their boisterous normal selves, when I got home, and put the ducks in the tub for a swim, was when I noticed there was something off about her. the tub is about the same temperature as the room around it. maybe 1 or 2 degrees warmer, but the laser thermometer doesn't detect a difference.

so just chicken vitamins in the water? I'm assuming I can get that at TSC or something similar?

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Amiga brought up lots more and better things to check as well, but I think at least one of your issues is the niacin... Amiga knows more about boosting it quicker but I recommend for starters to go back to Tractor Supply and get Purina Flock Raiser crumbles... switch them to that, it has much more of what ducklings need...

Anything else, Amiga would be best to listen too... :)

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Couple more thoughts - what has the temperature been? I keep wondering about overheating, or did they run out of water?

Another thing - when ducklings go outside, they can pick up a . . . oh, what's it called, a zoonotic disease carried by black flies or gnats....

Here is my writeup on niacin.

Response for ducklings with likely niacin deficiency
    People often get confused about what to use, so please stick with me here [​IMG].

You have some options.

I would go with brewer's yeast. Forgive me for using capital letters, but for anyone else who may casually look over this thread, NOT baking yeast, NOT winemaking yeast. Brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement and it provides niacin and a few other vitamins.

Generally, folks who supplement with brewer’s yeast use a tablespoon per cup of food.

Ducklings need about three times the niacin chicks do. And some ducklings get leg problems or seizures if they don't have enough niacin.

If you cannot find the brewer's yeast, or if you happen to have (here come the capital letters again, please forgive me) PLAIN niacin - NOT no-flush, NOT timed release, then dissolve 150 mg niacin per gallon of water for the duckling’s drinking water.

Another approach is to use B Complex capsules, and use the B3 - niacin - levels as a guide. Again, 150 mg B3 per gallon of drinking water.

Keep the little one on the supplements for about 8 weeks.

Sometimes it only takes a few days to see improvement.

You can also see how it went for Qwackers and Bentley from these threads.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help

1 person likes this.
  9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

10. tequilajade

Apr 7, 2016
    I just checked, we have polished off the brewers yeast with the last batch of home brew. and I don't have any niacin supplements.

is there anything I can do to prevent against, or potentially treat the thing they can get from the bugs outside? and is there an age that they are less likely to get it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by