One duck lays but the other doesn't, why????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Feb 24, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I'm trying to figure out why my other female runner duck isn't laying eggs. They are the same age and they will be a year old in April. I just don't get it. The one female has been laying an egg every day since she started other then last week. I've had the girls penned for the past week to give them a break from the boys. I have 3 boys to 2 girls and 1 male pekin duck. yes, I know, I need a girl from him. I'm trying to find one. Anyway, I just can't seem to figure out why the other duck isn't laying. There is now a 2 month old female with them and I'm afraid to let them with the boys. I feel the 2 month old duck is just to young to be mated with. Am I wrong??? I don't know what age is safe...... that's the only work I could think of..... LOL.

I have 12 4 day old baby ducks in my bathtub at the moment. Only 4 are females. No more hatching eggs from that duck...... she puts out all boys! They all have homes [​IMG] soon.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Sometimes it just happens! we would try to find the one that wasn't laying and invite her to the dinner table, we didn't want to reproduce more of the same.

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 girls.. at 4 months Pookie laid for a month and quit... They are now 11 months and the OTHER one .Omlet just started laying and Pookie hasnt yet...... Im sure they will both lay more regular as they mature.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I got 6 girls from Metzer last August. My J Pekin has been laying for about 3 weeks, 1 Runner for about 2 weeks and I got another greeny egg this morning, so thats 3 of them laying out of 6. I have no idea why some are laying and some arent.

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Maybe ducks lay when they want too..... lol. It's as if the duck that doesn't lay doesn't want too. She wants to be a boy duck. It could be that she is confused. My fawn and white runner lays white eggs which may be just a little bigger then a jumbo egg. Could be close to that size, I'm not really sure. I haven't seen a jumbo egg in a long time....... lol. My young chickens are starting to lay now and they are small.

I didn't know ducks could take up to a year or more to lay eggs. Maybe they want to get it right or they haven't found the best nursery set up yet. Hmmmm..........

6. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

haahaaa... well Mine are calls which are not strong layers anyway and can take longer to mature I guess... [​IMG]

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:Too Funny.

8. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    My 4 female ducks will also be a year old in April and none have laid an egg yet! Its quite annoying now, but we're still hopeful every morning when we go to let them out that we'll eventually find one [​IMG] I think it'd be pretty unusual for me to have 4 ducks which don't lay...

9. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Wow, are you suuurrreee they are females??? [​IMG]

10. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Quote:Yeah they are. They were sold sexed as females and they do quack loudly and don't have any drake feathers, they just haven't laid yet for some reason! We're hoping now the weather is starting to warm up and the days are getting longer that it'll make them start...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by