1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One duck not laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by elly21, Oct 13, 2015.

1. elly21

elly21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    Hi. We have three 25 week old Ancona's. 2 females and 1 drake. (We also have 4 female ducklings to even out the ratio, but they are not in with the big ducks yet).

One of the Ancona's has been laying for several weeks now but the other one has not started yet. Is this normal? I am wondering if maybe she won't start laying until the spring now.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is up to her - she is within the normal range, though, for beginning to lay. I mean, it's not unusual that she has not started to lay yet. My Runners began between 16 and 22 weeks, and they are smaller than Anconas. In general, the larger the breed, the longer before the first egg.

And as far as if she'll wait, I have seen some ducks wait till the following spring, some just start up and lay through the winter.

3. elly21

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    Thank you for replying! She is the largest so maybe that's why she is taking longer. I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with her. I never thought I would be so crazy about ducks! I spend a lot of time outside with them. My next problem is going to be introducing the ducklings to the big ducks. They are only 4 weeks old right now so I probably have another 5 weeks before they stay out there with them.

4. elly21

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    Surprise, surprise. I got two eggs this morning! She is finally laying!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

6. elly21

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachussettes
    lol, I was very excited. In the spring we should get 6 eggs a day! As long as the hatchery sent me all females this time. The last hatchery sent me 3 males and 2 females instead of 4 females.

7. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by