One duck ?

Jryxx

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Central Ohio
By reading many of the threads on here, I've been told to never keep JUST ONE duck by itself because it will get lonely and depressed. On Metzer Farms website however, it says that you may keep one duck by itself. I'm confused. Can anyone explain?

Ducks are prey animals. They thrive best in groups of at LEAST two (two females are great!) They have the flight or fight instinct and need another one to do best. We raised two Welsh Harlequin babies from the time they hatched and they are not attached to me at all in the sense they do not follow me around, come when called, sit on my lap, etc. They are not afraid of me either and are not flighty. BUT, they live on our farm, they do really well and they love being with each other. I HIGHLY encourage you to get at least two ducklings so they have each other to grow up with. I have no experience with ducks living indoors, but their natural habitat is outside so it might be best. If you have a drake, please be very observant to make sure he does over-mate the duck(s) with him.

Last edited:
Ducks are prey animals. They thrive best in groups of at LEAST two (two females are great!) They have the flight or fight instinct and need another one to do best. We raised two Welsh Harlequin babies from the time they hatched and they are not attached to me at all in the sense they do not follow me around, come when called, sit on my lap, etc. They are not afraid of me either and are not flighty. BUT, they live on our farm, they do really well and they love being with each other. I HIGHLY encourage you to get at least two ducklings so they have each other to grow up with. I have no experience with ducks living indoors, but their natural habitat is outside so it might be best. If you have a drake, please be very observant to make sure he does over-mate the duck(s) with him.
Thanks to you both for the input! Nothing is set in stone yet, I first have to convince my family that I am not crazy for wanting pet ducks, and then convince them to let me have them. We live on 1/4 of an acre in a neighborhood. Hope the neighbors don't mind LOL. But I am planning on getting two females as of now.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both for the input! Nothing is set in stone yet, I first have to convince my family that I am not crazy for wanting pet ducks, and then convince them to let me have them. We live on 1/4 of an acre in a neighborhood. Hope the neighbors don't mind LOL. But I am planning on getting two females as of now.

Sounds like a good plan. Please take the time to ensure they are safe when you are not around. Even in the city, there are lots of predators who can get to ducks, both nighttime and day. There are several really good posts on here on how to set up safety enclosures for them if you choose to keep them outside. I need to find them.......

Back
Top Bottom