1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One EE chick making a weird chirping noise, not peeping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jendodd79, Oct 13, 2012.

1. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    One of my EE 3 week old chicks has stopped cheeping, and is making some stranger bird noises. It's trying to get itself on the top of the pecking order, chasing the others around and pecking at them. Is this roo behaviour?

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Does it sound like this one?

I found it when I was doing a search earlier on reasons my own might be making strange noises. Mine doesn't sound anything like this one, thankfully lol (still hoping she is indeed a she)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  3. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    oh my - yes it does!

4. CluckyCharms

I don't know much about chickens, but that sounds like a mini-crow to me. lol Mine is more of a "pe-peep" so I think she's just...I don't know, practicing for Broadway or something :shrug:

Sounds to me like you may have a rooster if yours is making that noise, though.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Jendodd79, post pics and let us see.

6. CluckyCharms

Good idea [​IMG]

7. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Here's a video! It wasn't making the shrill sounds that it was in the coop, but it still sounds different then peeping!

Oh sorry, apparently it takes a little white to convert! I'm a video uploading newbie

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. CluckyCharms

hmm. It almost sounds like something is hurting...particularly when you pick it up. I'm not sure =( Did it maybe hurt itself? I just don't know enough about chickens to know...I'm sure someone else will see this though =)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  9. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    It sounds normal to me. I have 2 EE's and a sex-link chick in the brooder now. They are 4 weeks old. They squeal when I pick them up. Chirp loudly when I move my arm over the brooder. They most likely think your arm is a predator. It is hard wired into them to freak out when they see something overhead. And with it by itself it is probably chirping to find its friends.

10. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

it only make that sound when she touched it, i think you may be onto something here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by