1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One egg a week?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1WildHairL8tr, Apr 28, 2008.

1. 1WildHairL8tr

1WildHairL8tr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hi everyone.
    My Lovey finally laid her first egg the Saturday before last.
    She's 6 months old. My Buff Brahma Bantam Beauty.
    I was starting to get worried when she didn't lay anything again all week. Checking her vent, checking her poop, watching her eat...
    Well, today, I found a beautiful, brown egg in her nest.
    I know all hens are different and they take some time to get into the routine of egg-laying, but I don't think I've read about hens going so long between eggs.
    Her eggs are perfect and large and she's eating very well. Good color. She's not in any distress.
    But one egg a week or every 9 days?
    My family will have to share a one egg omelet tonight! HA![​IMG]
    Hence, why I'm looking for more laying hens!
    Cathi

2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your first eggs. My wife and I are new to this chicken raising thing (at least I AM) so I can't offer you too much advice on when the young hen will lay more frequently... Our Girls are about 11 months old now (we bought them from Kim here, a real nice lady to deal with) and we're thinking of getting one more from her if she still has them...

As anecdotal advice I can say from our experience that since we got Our Girls I noticed output increased dramatically when it got sunny and warmer, and fell accordingly when it got overcast. Something to consider... We let Our Girls free range as much as possible, we give them an occasional meal of Ramen Noodles with shredded cabbage and grated carrot throw in, also salads of romaine, cabbage and grated carrot in addition to the Egg Layer meal we get from Agway and some wild bird seed and black oil sunflower seeds. DID I MENTION Our Girls eat pretty good... They show it in the way they act and lay...

Give her time and lots of attention - she'll respond to positive cooing and vibes. They are wonderful creatures. YES ??

3. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Absolutely wonderful.
    She is such a gift to us.
    She does coo and craves attention lately.
    I do spoil her too with salads and veggies and mealworms.
    Maybe I'll make her a few "special" treats this week and see how that affects her laying.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Cathi

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Congrats! It's not unusal at all for new layers to have odd laying times. One of my Buff Orpingtons took four days off after her first egg, she then laid and then took two days off and now that she is in the swing of things, she lays faithfully every day.

5. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Large egg from a Bantam? Is this a proportional thing? Cuz, i would love to have large sized eggs coming from a compact sized bird.

I'm on week 18 with my birds. The waiting game is very tense. Some of the so-called-hens are now trying to crow, but sound more like screeches. Guess I'm gonna have to clear out the freezer. [​IMG]

6. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    bigmike&nan :

we give them an occasional meal of Ramen Noodles with shredded cabbage and grated carrot throw in, also salads of romaine, cabbage and grated carrot

That's my recipe for chicken stir fry...minus the chicken. [​IMG]

7. Redfeathers

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    [​IMG]

8. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Well, I say large egg, but I haven't measured it.
    It's about as tall as a "grade A large egg" from the grocer, but not as fat.
    Does that make sense?[​IMG]
    Anyway, I'm just tickled with her. I just want to be sure there's nothing wrong with her.

9. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Redfeathers~
    Do you think I might get the same kind of production from a bantam?

10. Redfeathers

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by