One Egg?!? Are they kidding me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Oct 3, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have 17 egg laying chickens and today I got ONE EGG! I mean, I know the days are getting shorter, and its raining, and some of them are molting, but ONE? Out of 17 chickens? What a bunch of dang freeloaders! [​IMG]. [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:try 4 out of 50! for weeks now! molting up a storm!!!!

3. pipsmom

pipsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    MA
    Ok, Now I don't feel so bad. I have 5 laying now and have only gotten 1 egg for the last two days from the most recent egg laying pullet.

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I keep a monthly tally of egg production from my 3 girls. Considering broodiness, molting, hidden nests and generally just lazing around, we average about 2 dozen eggs a month. They are little bantam eggs, so if you use them for any recipes (other than plain ole egg dishes) they are the equivalent of about a dozen eggs. [​IMG]

They are lucky they are cute fuzzy butts!

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I only got 3 out of 9 but one was a doozey...
    [​IMG]

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Ouch! [​IMG]

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I told my GF I was going to take her an ice pack...

8. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Ive been getting doozies like that from my one EE! She used to lay such beautifully formed greenish tinted eggs. For the last month or so, I've been getting these huge, mis-shaped monstrosities that are, well, very ugly eggs! What's the deal with that?? She is molting like crazy and I only get one from her every 3 days or so....

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    When you have chickens under or at 1 year of age, you're spoiled [​IMG] They'll lay through anything. . . . But when they get older you realize what keeping 'em is really about. [​IMG]

Try having non-hatchery birds. There's molting, bad weather (it rains a LOT here!!) broodiness, some more broodiness, and likely some more broodiness too.

Right now I'm getting an average 6 eggs a day from over 30 girls of laying age, but not too much complaint. All my Polish are molting, one of my Brahmas just began molting, all my Sussex are still on their "I was broody a while ago" break, and so I'm just going with the flow. The Polish are extremely reliable and valuable when not molting, the Sussex are very valuable when not broody, and the Brahma, well, she's my hatchery layer hen so I'm fine if she takes a break. [​IMG] I need at least one hen around here who I can eat the eggs of and not worry that I just sacrificed some money or a good future chick.

10. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I'm with ya on the rain just starting thing, and then constantly from now til July.... I have a flock of many different ages....most of which are under a year old....and still... no eggies. They all started to lay, now, nada. The older ones iim ok with taking a break, they've earned it....buut the youngster? They're just being lazy! I'm sure they will start again soon, but again.....ONE EGG????

And the broodies have been KILLIING me. I've got one silkie who just won't quit, even tho every timme I've given hher eggs in the broody box, she pitches a fiit to get out and back to the flock...and my Austrolorpe just hatched 9 littluns, while molting, I must add....

But there is no excuse for the 7 month olds, wo are NOT molting and NOT broody. I think they are just lazy and jumpiing on the other girls bandwagon.....

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by