One egg hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skye727, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I have two seramas sitting on eggs. One hatched last night around 7. That was the only one out 6. They are still sitting on them. Any chance that any more will hatch?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes.

3. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    They still hadn't hatched today and the hens abandoned them. I took them and put them in the incubator. One was peeping before I put it in but no sign of pipping. It stopped all noise once in the bator. Three of the eggs were due two days ago but 6 are about a week away. What are my chances?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    They could still hatch more so the ones that are a week away. Staggered hatches under a broody are not advisable as the mother will abandon eggs to care for the hatched chicks. It's natures way and she turns from being an incubator for the eggs to being a mother as her natural instinct is to care for the live chick.
    Have you got the humidty set up right? For chicks to hatch successfully they need high humidty at least 65% for hatching. Allthough this is not advisable for the eggs that are a week away from hatching. They still need to lose moisture for the air sac to grow, I'm afraid this is a catch 22 situation.

5. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    One egg has been trying to hatch in the incubator since yesterday afternoon. It has pipped a hole and is resting now. It's driving me nuts! I want to help it! I can't turn the younger eggs because I can't open the bator, right?

6. ArturS

ArturS New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    Bridgewater,NJ
    Don't help as long pipped on right side my hatch took over 3 days(did help 3 of them but after 20 hours)good luck[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by