1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One Egg is smaller....can't determine which one is laying it.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alamagnolia, Oct 6, 2012.

1. alamagnolia

alamagnolia Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2012
    My girls just started laying....my largest Red Star (Sex Link) started laying Sept 1, then the other Red Star. Now I think all five are laying....although the Barred Rock and the Buff Orp don't have much of a comb or wattle, I am pretty sure they are laying now, too. Wondering if any of these breeds usually lay a smaller egg....Black Star, B Rock and Buff Orp. It is laid regularly but is always smaller. Just wondering if anyone has experience with these breeds' egg laying habits. Thanks

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Their beginner eggs may not be an indication of what to expect in the future. They may start small and end up laying larger eggs, they may start with double yolks and then adjust to a regular size. So, it can be very individual at this stage of the game...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. alamagnolia

May 21, 2012
    I have gotten 10 of the small ones...great shape, good shell, get one on average every other day...(sometimes every day). I saw the Black Star in the nesting box when I let them out one morning, but she got up and left with the rest....there was one of the small eggs under her, but I wasn't a 100% that she had laid it since I thought she may have just left with them and laid later?? I am surprised if it's hers since she is one of my biggest hens. It is also lighter in color than the others.

4. alamagnolia

May 21, 2012
    Mystery is solved....it is the Black Star....yesterday's catching her in the previously empty nesting box confirmed who the small egg layer is. It appeared slightly larger yesterday but still smaller than the others. If she lays today, I will have a perfect dozen small eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by