one egg not hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sharron, Oct 13, 2011.

1. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    i had eggs due to hatch tues. or yesterday, all but one hatched , but i have one egg thats not pipping and i'm worried, i can see him bumping in the shell but thats all hes doing.
    anyone know why he doesn't want to hatch? is this normal?[​IMG]

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:How long have you seen this bump? It can take quite a while for the little guys to hatch. That's a lot of work for them [​IMG] I say give him some more time and relax.

3. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    well, i was late setting them down into the hatching tray, did it sunday, tues was the 21st.day, when i set them down, i just had to candle to see how many were good, he was the only one i could see bumping, thought for sure he would be first out but here it is thurs, everyone else hatched and hes still moving but not pipping.[​IMG]

4. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:If he is the very last one and seems to have trouble getting out I would assist personally. There are many people here that would oopose and let nature take its course. It is up to you. If there is a bump, maybe gently remove some of the pieces of shell around it so that he has some help getting out, but make sure to keep him in an area of heat and high humidty, like a running warm shower. Then put him back in and see if he makes it out on his own after that.

5. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    i've helped some out before when they seem to be stuck but this little one has no start pip . maybe i should give him til tonight to see what happens
    i really want this baby , he will make number 12, a real good start on the lemon cuckoo orpingtons
    thank you:ya

6. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Sorry, I must have misread your post. I thought there was at least a pip. I have heard of people who actually to create the pip themselves to help the chick out but have never done it myself. You may find out more in the incubating section of this website. I would not do anything with the egg in this case. Let is sit and hope he makes it out, but sometimes they are just too weak. It could also be a very thick eggshell and he can't make it out himself.

7. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    i guess i'm a nervous nelly , when they don't hatch on the day i think they should, i think i did something wrong and i've been hatching for a couple of years now but still things can go wrong as you well know.
    but i do thank you for the help, if hes not out by tonight i don't know what i'll do

8. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:No problem. You are right though, I am the same way. I have hatched several times this year and found that whoever doesn’t hatch within a day or so of the others tends to not hatch at all. Not sure why but that was just my personal experience. I always give each egg another couple of days but have found that 100% of the time it didn’t hatch and the chick inside was dead. The problem is, even if you are trying to help it out, if it is not ready to hatch, it may just bleed to death from you trying to interfere. I would just leave it for another couple of days and see if it hatches or not. Good luck! [​IMG]

9. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    At the bottom here is some good advice if you'd like to help
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

I might suggest at least pipping externally for him. I wish I had done that to two of mine yesterday and they did not make it.CANDLE FIRST. Poke a hole with a sterile (dip in rubbing alcohol) blunt object into the aircell. A very small hole, doesn't have to be big at all. use some warm water from a q tip to moisten round the hole and then set him back and make sure your humidity is UP. The thread above is really helpful if you want to assist the whole way.

ETA: important stuff!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    Quote:boy is that interesting!
    thank you, to be honest, i'm hoping he will have at least pipped when i get home from work, i know i'm a worry wart but he is late, should have hatched yesterday. today is day 23

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by