One egg then nothing!

RooBeeC

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2016
My 24 week old RIR gave us our first egg last week! I was so excited and have been checking daily with nothing! We found her egg under a pine tree. Since I noticed all the chickens making nests under that tree we have kept them in the coop and run so they learn to use the nesting box. I have total egg anxiety! Is this normal? Im a first timer so I dont know what to expect with them starting to lay eggs!

She is just to young! All chickens will go thru this phase. At 6 months old (24 weeks) they will lay their FIRST egg, and then after that you won't see another egg for about 4-6 more months, then after that egg your eggs will start coming on a continuous loop! Their First egg at 6 months old is kinda like a warning sign Sayin "I'm getting ready to start laying!". So don't give up on your hens now!
1f44d-1f3fc.png
Don't worry, you'll get some eggs sooner than you think!
I"m sorry, but this is completely wrong.

Point of lay starts around 18-22 weeks for most dual purpose/production bred birds. There can be a variation to that, of course. But not laying until a year old? That's not normal at all.

Some get right into it, others take time to start laying regularly.

Locking them up can be stressful and stop egg production too.

She is just to young! All chickens will go thru this phase. At 6 months old (24 weeks) they will lay their FIRST egg, and then after that you won't see another egg for about 4-6 more months, then after that egg your eggs will start coming on a continuous loop! Their First egg at 6 months old is kinda like a warning sign Sayin "I'm getting ready to start laying!". So don't give up on your hens now!
1f44d-1f3fc.png

Last edited:
1f44d-1f3fc.png

Yes, they can lay an egg and then go a week or 2 before their next one, but if it's 4-6 months before the next egg then there is something wrong there... that is not normal laying behavior...

No that is normal! But not for all chickens! My older chickens layed 1 egg at 6 months and their next egg was at 10 months, and there was nothing wrong with her!

I'm glad to hear that is normal! I wanted them to learn to lay in the nest boxes and wondered if locking them up made them stop laying. They have a nice coop and large run. We have been giving them fresh greens. I feel like they are a tad spoiled so I'm hoping they aren't stressed. I don't like keeping them in the coop but I don't want to have a daily Easter egg hunt in my yard either!

Nooooo! You don't have nothing to worry about! They won't lay an egg out in the yard unless they have to but being you have nesting boxes to lay their eggs in you shouldn't have to pick up eggs in the yard! LOL! No worries!

Back
Top Bottom