One eye closed, head down, lethargic

oceansunset73

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
California
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Rhode Island / Production Red hen, Age 9 months

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Only one eye is closed, her head is down, and she is lethargic.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Today is the first day.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. NO

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Drinking and eating are normal, I am feeding her Organic, GMO Free Bar Ale Layer crumbles. I also add Hen boost probiotics in their water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Depends on what the issue is. If minor,I want to care for her. If not, there is a vet local so if needed I can get her there.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Dirt run, pine shavings in the coop. Pine shavings and straw in the nesting boxes.

Last edited:
FDC920F9-2133-42D0-8326-D1EF3E14222A.jpeg

Please examine her thoroughly right away. She Definitely does not feel well, or may possibly be in pain. Check her breast my store for any wasting… Is the coupon for treating? Feel her abdomen (fluffy butt area) for bloating with fluid. Check her over thoroughly for lice or might. Look deep into her feathers, focusing around her vent and under her wings. Look at her vent. Is it nice and clean and clear? Do you know when she last laid an egg? Feel her crop. Is it hard or squishy? This is a better assessed first thing in the morning. It’s possible she’s gotten some of the straw tangled up in her crop. Great job being on top of this. Looks like she’s going to need your assistance.

Thank you for the reply.

I felt her crop early this morning and I did not feel anything in there. It was not hard nor was it squishy.

She did lay an egg early this morning as well.

I find it odd that she is only closing one eye. If she was sick would both eyes would be closed or not necessarily? I love my babies so much, I don't want anything to happen to my little Mocha. :fl

Last edited:
Could it just have been her eye might have gotten scratched by one of her flock mates? How could I tell? Help. I'm new to all this, this is my first flock. Thank you.

Coccidiosis? Does she open her eyes and look normal when your around her. She might have frothy sort of poo though. Some hens are more prone to it than others. Do you give them apple cider vinegar?

Coccidiosis? Does she open her eyes and look normal when your around her. She might have frothy sort of poo though. Some hens are more prone to it than others. Do you give them apple cider vinegar?

Thank you so much for the response. I don't know if its Coccidiosis though because her poo is normal and she is eating and drinking like normal. I don't give them apple cider vinegar because their water container is the metal one. So I give them Hen Boost in their water instead; which is a mix of probiotics, electrolytes and vitamins.

It might be worth while getting a plastic drinker and putting acv in it for a week once a month. It is very good for hens digestive tract and condition. I only give extra minerals and vitamins when they are moulting or looking a bit under the weather. They also normally get a mash once or twice a week that has natural yoghurt in it they go wild for it especially if you add some sweetcorn!

Back
Top Bottom