One eye closed most of the time

SUGARBEANFARMS

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2023
My hen has been keeping one eye closed most of the time. I've washed with a damp cloth. No puss, no drainage, eye appears fine. Hen is acting normal. Drinking and eating fine. I thought she had something fly into her eye as we were cutting grass that day and it was windy.
But she still perverts it shut. What kind of vet do you take a chicken to, anyway?? Should I take it to the vet? Are chicken bets expensive??
Now it looks like one of my other hens is wanting to do the same thing with one of her eyes. Yet again another windy day of cutting grass and also spreading sand for them. No ooze, no damage, no swelling. Normal looking eyeball. Acting fine, drinking and eating well

Vets are very expensive. Most know very little about chickens, which is how this website became popular helping people. I would look into the eye for any debris, gunk, bubbles, or a foreign body such as a seed or foxtail. You can use something like Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief or saline to flush the eye. Then apply a small dab of plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. Terramycin eye ointment sometimes can be found at feed stores from a clerk. The watch for any other symptoms, such as swelling, lameness, or congestion. Hopefully, it is nothing serious.

Vets are very expensive. Most know very little about chickens, which is how this website became popular helping people. I would look into the eye for any debris, gunk, bubbles, or a foreign body such as a seed or foxtail. You can use something like Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief or saline to flush the eye. Then apply a small dab of plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. Terramycin eye ointment sometimes can be found at feed stores from a clerk. The watch for any other symptoms, such as swelling, lameness, or congestion. Hopefully, it is nothing serious.
Thank you. I'm really thinking it's not, as I've been keeping my own eye on it. Have washed it several times. Opened her eye and looked around. Just thought I'd ask about it since now there's another girl doing this. But her eye looks good too. Maybe she just thinks the other one looks cool and thought she'd follow suit, lol

Are they acting lethargic at all or moving slowly? Is it hot where you are? Just asking because I had a pullet that had some health issues (hyperkeratosis, and cocci - she took a couple additional rounds on corid, I think her immune system is not perfect) her first summer was a roller coaster of looking like she'd die then looking ok. She would close one eye and walk slowly until she bumped into the run fence, turn and keep slowly walking. Interestingly my friend who has commercial turkey houses gave me some Dehydration and Stess Aid, I think by Aurora? if I put this in her water she'd perk up, if I'd stop she'd fade again, I kept the electrolyte mix water available to them all of her first summer. Now she's been doing just fine the last two years.

Just wondering if it could be as simple as electrolytes?

Are they acting lethargic at all or moving slowly? Is it hot where you are? Just asking because I had a pullet that had some health issues (hyperkeratosis, and cocci - she took a couple additional rounds on corid, I think her immune system is not perfect) her first summer was a roller coaster of looking like she'd die then looking ok. She would close one eye and walk slowly until she bumped into the run fence, turn and keep slowly walking. Interestingly my friend who has commercial turkey houses gave me some Dehydration and Stess Aid, I think by Aurora? if I put this in her water she'd perk up, if I'd stop she'd fade again, I kept the electrolyte mix water available to them all of her first summer. Now she's been doing just fine the last two years.

Just wondering if it could be as simple as electrolytes?
They both seem perfectly fine. Not acting unusual at all. Eating fine. Drinking fine.

So I decided to get regular eye drops and drops for pink eye, today. The first chicken, today is keeping her eye open more. Yay! I put regular eye drops in both chickens eye. Fingers crossed. I'm also making oregano tea for them as I've been recommended to do because it works as a natural antibiotic. Here goes nothing! Beats the alternatives, I think. I'm wanting to get 3 more gems so I need to make sure this isn't anything serious before I put more in my flock.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom